Swapping bars on KICKR BIKE

Why does it need stubby ones? How have they obscured the access?

A couple of takeaways from finishing up today - 1) the screws seem to have been torqued up by the world’s strongest man, and so given you can’t get a regular allen key fully engaged I would say there’s an 80% likelihood of rounding out the bolt. 2) the channel that is cut into the shifter to allow an allen key to get in is simply the wrong angle/insufficient in angle to fit a normal allen key. If you peel back the hood and try poking an an allen key you’ll see this yourself.

One caveat - I have a V2 Kickr bike, so it’s possible this changed between V1 and V2 as GPLama seemed to get it to work ok with a regular allen key.

3 Likes

So the easiest option if I ever do decide to change the bars is just to take it to the local shop. They can then wrap the tape properly as well. I’ve tried twice and never managed to get it to stick right.

Tape is so pernickety. I am absolutely OTT about having perfectly wrapped bar tape. It took me a few goes but now I always wrap my own tape.

1 Like

Shucks am getting very nervous now about changing out the bars. Hopefully it is fine.

You will be absolutely fine. You just need a stubby allen key set. I got this one - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E7XK74?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It’s honestly not a hard job and definitely doesn’t need to be done by your bike shop. I actually really enjoy re-taping bars. It is strangely meditative :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve done it a few times, last time felt perfect, it all lined up, everything was stretched and stuck down, and a week after doing it, one bit popped out and it all went to pieces.

Just needs practice I know, just never have enough bike downtime to practice it.

2 Likes

The main difference maker for me has been applying consistent tension as you’re wrapping - i.e. pulling the tape towards you as well as wrapping.

1 Like

I wrap all my own bar tape, am absolutely pedantic about it. It’s the potential bolt stripping that is worrying me. Even stubbier stubby hex keys on route to me now. I ended up getting the Park Tools set.

3 Likes

I want to rewrap my road bike, it’s all boring gray at the moment, I’m changing the valves to red and want tape to match.

1 Like

My V2 bolts were unbelievably tight, it felt like probably close to 10-12Nm of force to get them to release? So I guess just make sure the stubby allen key is well seated and channel Knighthood level bravery :slight_smile:

4 Likes

6 Likes

New flat topped bars with a bit of flare. Bartape is just what I had in the drawer, so cheap, but will be a bazillion times easier to replace than the stock Wahoo tape.

6 Likes

Looks very neat.

2 Likes

I just got my Kickr bike and have to say the handlebar is one of the worst i have seen. I will be replacing mine right away

1 Like

Good call. My tip.of the day is leave the bartape on and try just remove the shifters by taking the grippy loop thing right off because getting the tape off so you can slide the shifters off takes HOURS

2 Likes

Just got my Kickr Bike last week and read all the stories about swapping out the stock bars for your own ones as well as getting stubby Allen keys and not taking off all the bar tape as it’s garbage and now in the garbage too. Thanks to all those who have went through this themselves your suggestions and answers were very much appreciated by this Kickr bike owner. Thank you all

3 Likes

I too ran into the shifter removal problem. The bolts are super human torqued, don’t know what wahoo was thinking. I of course snapped the head off an Allen wrench trying. Waiting on my stubby keys to get here from Amazon. Can’t wait to put my FSA flat bar on.

I need to buy new bar tape, every time I ride I remember I need it then forget when I pass the shop.

Gawd the stock bar tape is HEINOUS :rofl: