SYSTM companion app?

I would like a way to change the resistance level on my Wahoo Kickr without having to get off of my bike to do so. I run SYSTM in a Windows based HTPC connected to a 50" TV. Everything works great, I really love that I can run Netflix or HBO Max full screen and have the SYSTM windows app overlay the metrics on top of what I’m watching. The only problem I have is when I need to change the level on my Kickr.

In Zwift there’s a companion app that you load on your phone so that you can type in messages and give kudos to other riders and such without the need to use the keyboard on the PC. Is there any companion SYSTM app, or can I at least change the level on the kickr using the Wahoo Fitness app on the phone while doing my SYSTM workout?

1 Like

Wireless keyboard and mouse. You can adjust the intensity by just hitting the arrow keys. I put a TV tray next to my bike within arms reach and set a keyboard and mouse on it. Then I don’t have to get up.

5 Likes

I already have a phone holder for my bike, and I have a midsize wireless keyboard that doesn’t fit on the holder. I don’t want to buy more equipment. SYSTM can just allow control on the phone with a companion app like Zwift does, or even do it on the SYSTM app by allowing it to connect to the SYSTM windows app via the same cloud account being using simultaneously.

1 Like

You should be able to use your phone as a Bluetooth remote like BLE Remote if your PC already has Bluetooth.
Of course a companion app could have lots more features.

1 Like

I’ve used Unified Remote in the past when I was physically distant from my keyboard. Turns your phone in to a mouse or keyboard for your PC. [Personally I can’t see Wahoo spending time and resource on a companion app when there are free and pretty simple solutions already out there but :man_shrugging: maybe they’ll think it’s worth doing]

2 Likes

Thanks Thomas & James, that bluetooth remote option should work. I’ll try it tonight. I actually was also going to try using my Wahoo ELMNT Bolt and/or Wahoo Fitness app to control the level of resistance and mode on the KICKR. I just didn’t know if it would interfere with my computer’s simultaneous connection to the KICKR. Level and/or mode is the main thing I needed to control when I did the Half Monty test for the first time this weekend.

2 Likes

Another idea if you’re watching movies in the tv while doing SYSTM workouts (and the BLE remote idea doesn’t work): run SYSTM totally on your phone and let the movies on the TV just be movies. You’d have to look down for your metrics, but it is simple. Obviously, this doesn’t work if you’re watching SYSTM videos on TV.

1 Like

I like the overlay feature on a PC connected to the TV. I can concentrate on both the series/movie and hitting the metrics steady without losing focus on either. It really makes the “pain cave” indoor workouts a lot more bearable.

1 Like

Let me know how that works out. I was thinking about doing that too. It would suit me not to have to use any sort of touch screen. 5 minutes in my sweaty paws are useless on those…

EDIT (2 Dec '21): I’ve tried it and it’s super convenient. Swapping from ERG to Level and going up and down the Levels is just pressing buttons on the BOLT.

I’m now trying to run more parts of workouts in Level mode as the ‘feel’ is a bit more realistic. It’s also a good way to get an understanding of what Level and gear you want to be running a FF in.

1 Like