The Tour 2023

Like the sentiment but does that mean any references in existing Suf workouts to The Tour of Sufferlandria will now be changed to The Tour? And new videos reference The Tour? Wouldn’t that be confusing for new SYSTM users as they would presume The Tour would mean the Tour de France?

3 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Too soon, man. -1 :mending_heart:

4 Likes

Meant as a bit of fun, apologies if it did not come across that way

1 Like

Funny thing is I don’t think anyone would disagree with the sentiment. I somewhat suspected your comment was from the hip/heart and not a corporate edict.

I’ll also say again that I’m gonna continue to keep an open mind as per Sir @Rupert.H’s request.

But, in the context of the burial of all the Sufferlandrian history, culture, and lore (the SUF pages have been offline since SYSTM went public in Sept 2021 and can only be accessed via the wayback machine ie web archives), the OG Knights Honour Roll and all the panache along with it has been similarly buried and replaced with a list here on the forums and now changing the name of the ToS, after 10 years of being the ToS is just one more cut.

I honestly don’t think there’s gonna be boatloads more folks signing up to do “The Tour” (with its new moniker) than would have signed up anyway. It just puzzles me why wahoo wouldn’t want to capitalize on the uniqueness that is Sufferlandria with its silliness and it’s tongue-in-cheek humour and it’s serious training ethos in an ethos of let’s-not-take-ourselves-too-seriously instead of eroding the shores of the Great Lactic Acid Sea. It’s supposed to be fun. SUF is fun.

22 Likes

The Tour will have some other elements added into the name (as well as the route) when we tell you more in January.

We do respect the Tour of Sufferlandria and all it has achieved for the Davis Phinney Foundation by bringing this great community together and we’re excited by the prospect of growing even more and still keep the fun.

13 Likes

And this is why I shall continue to keep an open mind. I’m an optimist. Really. I just have a special gift for complaining.

14 Likes

Just this. Simple and clear. And so obvious.

13 Likes

Hear hear. Well said as always Sir @Glen.Coutts.

3 Likes

Ah, it’s broken free of the boundaries of Sufferlandria and taken over the world!? I’m okay with that! I just might mount my trainer on the couch to celebrate our victory! Ghetto rocker plate for the win!

5 Likes

That’s one way of looking at it. We wait with baited breath to see what damage we can do to the World then.

1 Like

Is it January yet?
F95C2757-8966-45B4-802D-A732AEEFFE52

5 Likes

‘The Tour’ is bland. It sounds like it was chosen by a committee. I’ve been thinking of some other names for it:
Davis Phinney Week
Attack on Doughy Softness
SYSTM Safari
Donut Destroyer
Fluffy’s Revenge
The SYSTM Parkinson’s Challenge

7 Likes

or perhaps simply the Tour of SUFFERLANDRIA :thinking:

14 Likes

All will soon be revealed
emoji-icon-glossy-00-00-faces-face-negative-fearful-face-chewing-fingernails-72dpi-forPersonalUseOnly

3 Likes

Be great to get a sense soon on whether there’ll be training plans etc - I either start a full plan on Monday and cut it short for the tour, or chase the ProRide badge for the next few weeks instead…

1 Like

I know we’ve all said it already, but was reflecting while out on a ride this morning - gutting the Sufferlandrian origins and history aside, I feel like “The Tour” is a weak effort for a rebrand.

I would literally prefer “Tour de Wahoo” to this. And I hate that idea.

C’est cyclisme.

:face_with_diagonal_mouth:

4 Likes

Lol

2 Likes

Only just picked up on the comments from Sir Rupert so I’m a bit late to this debate. I’ve been a die hard Sufferlandrian since Jan 2014 and since 2015 I’ve not missed a Tour or even contemplated missing one. I’ve even been known to utilise chunks of my annual leave to ensure I can get the stages in at a time of day that maximises my chances of giving it everything.

But for the first time in 8 years I’m not looking forward to rheTour at all. The date change is annoying, but given the lay offs and turmoil at the end of this year I kind of get it and definitely appreciate its trivial in the grand scheme of things. But the thought that it’ll no longer be a Tour of Sufferlandria gives me little confidence I’ll motivate myself to do it. It was bad enough the year they forced the additional strength sessions on us, but at least you still got a full remit of stages.

I’ll obviously keep an eye out for the announcement and I really hope I get to eat my words……… But it feels like wahoo are determined to make SYSTM purely a product and dampen the things that really gripped me about Sufferlandria. I always describes The Sufferfest as a bike club that I loved being a part of that happened to give me access to an awesome training platform. The trouble with losing that first bit is that other companies can replicate/improve products, it’s emotional attachments that are hard to compete with!

21 Likes

How i describe it to friends and family too. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

9 Likes

This

8 Likes