TOS 2022: Stage 1 is OPEN! Let's hear your stories from the road!

Completed stage 1 yesterday :slight_smile:

I’d been worried about the shifting as I use a manual wheel on trainer with speed based resistance (Omnium overdrive) and a 1x gravel bike (40t x 11-42) with a power meter. The rapid shifting got pretty punishing, especially the rapid 60w → 240w → 60w bursts. I think next time I’d maybe try disengaging my derailleur’s clutch as it was starting to channel GvA and slam the chain into the small cogs on the cassette with those rapid large shifts of 4-6 cogs…

Makes me think ERG mode on a smart trainer would probably be nicer for Pro Rides :sunglasses:

I cleaned the rollers before the stage, I’ve only seen rubber loss like this on Half is Easy; my poor Michelin Power Roads! :fire:

3 Likes

Did that trick anyone else? I didn’t freewheel at all and was tempted to up the % (already on nuclear) even though I’d upped all by values by 10-25W pre tour (not mad; had been upping levels on workouts before so knew it was possible) but then the last 25 minutes or so suddenly killed me. Levels that had previously seemed easy felt hard. It was almost like a proper bonk. Never again shall I approach a longish session with no food.

7 Likes

Wow dude, you didn’t eat? For two hours on a bike? Join those that do fasted rides, maybe they understand it. I would have chewed and swallowed the stem…

1 Like

Not me, either. Can’t stomach anything other than Tailwind Endurance sports drink. Two bottles was just about enough at half strength mix.

4 Likes

i just had one Cliff Bar the entire ride.

1 Like

2 pop tarts for me

2 Likes

umm…yeah? my final output showed 1250ish KCal, so that would make for a “proper bonk”. :grimacing:

If it will make you feel better, I bonked WITH a feed plan in place.

4 Likes

No I had porridge before. Just during it. Thought just over two hours would be fine.

2 Likes

Got to fuel good and proper before the ride. for this one it was porridge with 40g of raisins. Some rides I will toast to.

1 Like

I can do a 2 hour fasted ride and often do. But those are not at this intensity. But I do have issues eating anything much more than a stoopwafel. For a ride like this it is generally liquid carbs for the first 60-75 minutes and then water the rest of the way out.

1 Like

I had never eaten before or during a ride although I’ve never suffered for longer than 3 hours in one stretch. I always ride first thing about 15 mins after rolling out of bed and feeding the cats.
Maybe it affects my performance but getting up even earlier to eat first or try and eat on the bike sounds awful to me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love that sufferlandrians stand up against bullying, racism and misogyny (to name a few).

This situation calls for standing up against. Not just in private.

Also: Standing with Ukraine does not mean that you’re against individual Russians.

4 Likes

+1. I get the “it’s just an app” sentiment, and yeah, Sufferlandria” is allnin good spirits, but there are times where “neutral” isn’t an option.

4 Likes

No.

12 Likes

…Next question?

I am a big fan of the words and belief in standing up for others of the late Elie Wiesel.

“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. The opposite of love is not hate, it’s indifference.” — Elie Wiesel

11 Likes

I’ve made it through 3 nuclear stages now in my first Tour. The last 30 min of stage one was tough to stay with it!
Got hot foot and was really miserable, but I’m also very determined.
Nothing will beat me!!
I may not be very strong, but I will do this!!

9 Likes

Amen.

2 Likes

umm, you’re pretty strong. Just sayin’.

4 Likes

Aww, you’re sweet. Thanks.

2 Likes