Wahoo Wednesdays | Share your feedback with the SYSTM team | December 7th 2021

Strewth, yes but I was thinking more of a 2-3 month plan.

1 Like

I’d like to see a What’s New in SYSTM card on the Home Screen.

So, for things like hey, we’ve added a new filter that will let you see your downloaded vids now, or hey there’s a new training plan for the holidays called Powering Through The Holidays, or hey, we’ve got this cool tool on the web to check your badge progress and your cycling and yoga streaks. Etc etc

It doesn’t have to list them on the card, it could just say What’s New in SYSTM and bring us to a web page that has a running tally of stuff and the date it was added.

14 Likes

Hello,

I’m a long time Wahoo bike computer user. I mostly use it for bike packing and navigation. One of the main things that drove me to Wahoo was it felt like you actually have a team thinking about user experience from a UI, workflow, and stability point of view. Using the Wahoo app with my bike computer feels pretty intuitive and like the system is trying to work with me rather than fight me. I’m a HUGE fan of your bike computers. All great stuff. I have been hoping for some time you decided to create a watch, so I was pumped when I saw that actually happen.

I think I’m going to do some races this next year and wanted to start training and I had seen some stuff about SYSTM and the new watch, etc. Here I am with SYSTM as a new user and my expectation is that it would be place for all my work out data and I’d be able to get some structured workouts and ride videos, and some analytics of my workout data. Turns out, that’s mostly not true. Here’s what I’ve found I can’t do:

1. Import any of the rides/data from my wahoo bike computer (I assume the same for the rival watch?)

2. Push any of the workouts from SYSTM to my bike computer or watch for outdoor use. I seriously have to have an app and my device running even for indoor stuff (I guess just the app really, but I use the head unit while riding as I don’t have a mount for my phone).

3. If the focus is on indoor use, why is it difficult to get the videos on a big screen? Mirroring kind of works, by why not an app on apple TV, roku, chrome cast etc?

Anyway, SYSTM on it’s own seems pretty neat I guess, but I workout at the gym, outside, and when I’m travelling, and I’d like to have that data included for analysis. So my advice is:

1. Wahoo are known for your great software (in my eyes). Make it easy to use and get data from your own devices without yet another app. I’m looking for a place for all my data to live (indoors, outdoors, bolt, rival, etc). I already have a wahoo app on my phone, now I need another that doesn’t know about my bike computer and have to reconnect all the sensors and stuff? Why can’t you just add another tab to that app and save me from duplicating my profile and stuff? Also, doesn’t seem too hard to at least import my other work out data? If I had at least that, I’d feel better about the value of SYSTM, even if I can’t push the workouts to the device for outside use.

2. For the money, I need more than training plans and ride videos. There’s a lot of data out there that is free and I can create my own work outs and I use GCN training videos already so I guess I need more value from SYSTM (analytics, plans, ride videos, a very strongly connected eco system that makes it super easy).

Anyway, I’m sure this stuff will come, although I couldn’t for the life of me find a public road map, so I don’t know. I’ll check back in 6 months and see where things are. Keep making nice stuff though, I really appreciate the devices of yours that I have. Also, I’m pretty new to SYSTM, so maybe I missed something and maybe my expectations for what SYSTM would be are too high or off.

– Rob

4 Likes

that second suggestion is a bit like Rouvy. You start with a gpx, you can just ride against that but you can also correlate a gpx to a video which is the main body of content, users can submit their own, they have tools to aid with this etc. but that is a different kind of concept. What I look to more from Systm will be expanding the first person ride with a pro.

1 Like

that is good, it is a high performance video system, the downside is it has limited number of bluetooth channels it supports ie I can’t (on some other software) connect my HR, cadence, trainer

1 Like
  • How have we been doing so far? Decent - as noted by others, feature regressions (together with my gripe of losing support on my ipad mini) - but the expansion of types of training, the first person rides, and getting the vision out in podcasts etc. All good.
  • How can we make it better? My main areas of desire are around calendar and planning. I want to see as I build the calendar TSS for the week etc. Your plans are great but I also want to think about more than I have a race in 12 weeks. I have a set of events I want to do next year, some are single day, some are multi-day, some are XC, one is a sprint-tri, others are multi-day – I want to calendar my year - trainerroad has this worked out. So if I can just do this by hand it is a start - so I need to see not just activity hours, total up and show my projected load. (I have been working on my last 3 weeks of the year plan so this is fresh in my mind). Part of this is also (as a baby step) me putting outside rides in so I want to add activities that you don’t have in the “plan”. Let me click on a date, add activity, type (list) > road ride: time/dist (next step would be to just connect to my list of rides I have logged on my Roam because often for instance every Saturday we ride a similar route because you could pull more data to update that tss). And how do I get say a swim/walk/run pushed say into my watch? (you can do that after you can export workouts to my head unit :slight_smile: ) – Note, I live in AZ, I can ride outside year round summer is harder than winter… so my preference often drives to outside.
  • What you want more/less of? more flexibility for outside, more analytics, more long-term planning, connection to “recovery data”. More first person. Less? while I like that you are expanding for swim/run etc. Get cycling 100% first make “more” very focused
  • Anything else on your mind
    Keep/expand on challenge/events - I love that there are things like Tour and KOS and efforts around davis phinney foundation – be the change you seek.
1 Like

I hear you! We’re not ready to do this at the moment, but I know it might potentially help. To elaborate a bit…

• If we tell you what’s coming, how do we know what you all want the most? From my perspective, hearing your un-filtered requests and feedback without the bias of knowing what’s around the corner has been the most interesting part of this process and led to some great insights! (This is a bit of a cop-out, but it doesn’t make it any less true.)

• We’ve got to be better at estimating our time. We’ve gotten this wrong or been inaccurate with our timeliness before and it’s led to more friction and disappointment. Too much in flux at the moment, but I hope it’s something we can do better going forward.

Yeah, fair shout. Without going into the gory details, we didn’t nail the landing and that has had some knock-on effects. We have to do better, no doubt!

Filter by downloaded is not available on 7.12.0! Go to Library > Cycling / Yoga / Strength / MTP / Swimming / Running (categories) and tap the filter next to the search bar - you’ll be able to find what’s on your device.

As an aside - given the total space our app is taking up, there’s a possibility that you have some old SUF workouts buried in there and invisible to SYSTM (and so you won’t be able to remove them via the app). If that’s the case, you can delete the app from your iPhone/iPad and reinstall it. This will remove any old/invisible SUF files from your device. If you run into any issues or need more detailed instructions for this, please ask my colleagues in customer service.

Same! Have you ridden Gavarnie yet? Felt like I was riding with Mr Cotty himself (without getting dropped). A new favourite of mine for sure.

Yeah - egg-on-head moment…

RGT has a neat feature too like this too called ‘Magic Roads’

Thanks for all the discussion so far everyone - loads of amazing points and fair criticisms! You all have high expectations and are rightfully keeping our feet to the fire - the tough love is reciprocal. :handshake:

5 Likes

Ok, I fully get that, but that’s not what you have been doing, in the release statement, it talks about promised features, in the dc rainmaker article you promised data analytics, outside workouts, and pushing to head units, in this very forum, you custom workouts have been promised, you have been setting a roadmap, just not in one place, you have been setting expectation of what is coming, just not in one place, I have not been posting the features that I would like to see, as I have had them already been promised, and this by your own reckoning, will have influenced what is important and coming

1 Like

If you would like to see which features we would like to get most wouldn’t it be better to create a feature request sub forum with voting system?

Apart from getting all the missing features from the old SUF app I’m wondering most about the feature disparity between categories and channels. You’ve implemented TSS and IF sorting and “on this device” filtering to cycling but these are still not available in the channels. Being a software developer myself I’m wondering why. The complicated part (the implementation) is already done. Binding the implentation to the channels as well shouldn’t be that difficult unless you have a real problem with your architecture.

4 Likes

Hey @Endlessly_Curious, Sir @gpsjared means NOW available (but you probably already figured that out). I’m just noting this on the off chance you stopped reading at NOT available on 7.12.0! Musta been some bleary eyed typing.

3 Likes

I did! :laughing:
(Sorry for any confusion.)

1 Like

I am new to SYSTM, was previously using Rouvy for virtual rides (and am a big Strava user overall).

I changed because of the analytics that were going to beat me into a better rider/shape. I started with the 14 day trial (which I thought was sizing me up), it seemed it was just a random tour (missed opportunity) - my fitness level in Strava dropped for the entire 2 weeks. BTW, I ride approx 30 miles/week outside (3hrs)…

I decided it must be user error, so I went to the plans and selected one to improve fitness/strength and mental toughness… completed the full monty, then the plan had me do another half monty - after the 3rd measure it appeared some of the workouts were getting harder (and my fitness went up slightly - just a point in Strava) - it had me ride 40-50 miles for 2 weeks, but then last week only about 10 miles total - fitness back to dropping like a rock in Strava. I hope this is user error or maybe even how its supposed to work, anyone have any reassurance out there for me?

My gripe is that with unstructured Rouvy, I could pick a fairly strenuous ride 2-3x/week (avg time 1 hr - 15-20 miles) and feel/see the results (fitness level went up almost every single ride in Strava), but my technique/form were not improving (maybe the opposite). Now I am trying to trust the science as SYSTM keeps telling me, but these super low effort rides (that last 25-35mins) are almost boring and my fitness is down over 25% in a month (while I am spending just as much if not more time training). I do think there may be some hidden benefits with work on cadence and intervals - but its not apparent based on Strava’s fitness calculator and I have not been able to get outside to see how the normal MTB trails feel.

My asks - why not show a simple measure of overall fitness in SYSTM so progress can be measured (like Strava) and used to keep motivating us?

Like others have also said, we want SYSTM to be all inclusive and if it is supposed to be doing AI to make us stronger it should have access to all of our workout info (not just those done on Wahoo).

Thanks for seeking out feedback, this is what will make SYSTM better than the rest.

5 Likes

While I’m pretty active here in the forums and FB and have been a Sufferlandrian since 2015 I don’t work for Wahoo and have no say over what gets implemented or how quickly

That said, Fwiw i am LOVING the frank and honest feedback and input from users new to SYSTM and SUF and hope this kinda input goes straight to the ears of those that can actually influence things.

Welcome @hagar_the_horrible and @rtadlock keep it coming!

3 Likes

Plans that include Road riding on an actual real road. Bear with me on this one.

Apologies if this has been suggested, answer covered elsewhere, I’m an occasional forum user.

Old Sufferfest 12 week Road plan had workouts planned for the road at the weekends.

New one does not. The workouts for the weekend are not easily duplicated on the Road either, so it isn’t just a case of do it on the road.

So, what I am thinking, is that the plan is holistic and to get maximum benefit, you have to follow the plan fully with the planned workouts to get that maximum benefit. AND if you were to do base, tempo or whatever is reasonable to do on the road at the weekend, it would change the nature of the workouts during the week???

So therefore perhaps the during the week workouts would be more intense??? As by nature, the weekend work would be more base/tempo? Dn’t know the science and this is an assumption on m part, but it makes sense that it would change the overall nature of the programme and workouts if you rode road at weekends instead of Systm sessions?

Otherwise I’m loving the 12 Week Road with 2:1. Hits the mark. Hard, but doable and helps with the consistency. Looking forward to my half monty next week.

2 Likes

If you’re trying to become a stronger rider, I’d ignore the fitness measure in Strava. It doesn’t measure how strong a rider you are; it measures the average over several weeks of your effort-adjusted time in saddle. Because many of the SYSTM plans combine shorter, intense intervals and longer, easier rides, that could well show up as lower “fitness”. If you generally were riding medium intensity for similar hours before SYSTM, that would generate higher fitness scores in Strava, but wouldn’t do much to actually make you stronger. However, if what you really want is to be a stronger rider, focus instead on the 4DP metrics.

Unfortunately, there is no way to measure progress day-to-day: you have to wait to test every six weeks or so. But you should notice that the workouts get a bit easier as you move through a plan—until you test and start to use higher, fresh numbers. That’s what getting stronger looks like, no matter what Strava says.

10 Likes

:+1:
When I was a subscriber to Strava, this metric always baffled me. There was no correlation with that fitness and my actual fitness.

7 Likes

This is why I cancelled my Strava subscription. I thought the app was providing me with a lot of data, but not a lot of useful data.

5 Likes

Great points, I will continue to trust the science and see how my next 4DP comes up for a progress report in 3 weeks. I do like the format of the workouts (they keep the clock moving) better than Rouvy so far…

3 Likes

My observations:

I’m really enjoying the On Location rides. I used to use BKool which also has outdoor videos, but I much prefer the structured workout you get while listening to Mike go on about the cows :smile: More of these, please!

Minor irritant: every time I enter the app and select library, and then order by duration. It’d be nice if the app could remember this…

The strength workouts seem to be very much aimed at home training using minimal equipment. It would be great to get some 30-40 min workouts for those of us with access to a gym. Nothing that requires particularly fancy equipment, but IME at least all gyms have free weights, pull up bars, and a standard range of machines for chest/shoulders/legs etc.

In general though I’m very happy with the app and the direction you’re taking, even if I do miss the Sufferfest branding and attitude!

2 Likes

I’m referring the direction we’re taking at the moment and what I can personally control and influence from others in the team. We’ve been excited about seeing these features ourselves, but features are only ready when they’re ready - not when we/I hoped they would be.

We share this (and other) pet peeve(s) I’m sure. At the moment it’s not necessarily the complexity / difficulty, but the priority (this particular one being rated lower than other issues in the backlog).

Wild! :smiley:

No worries - if it’s important to YOU we want to hear about it (even if someone else has mentioned it elsewhere, two voices lend validity).

Ah, interesting! I’ll bring this up with the design team and let them explore it. There might be good reasons why we don’t do this, but there also might be great ways to implement this so that it just works for everyone.

Get your fill late February and March with the 10th edition of the Tour of Sufferlandria!