Wahoo X May Challenge - Pursuit of Pink!

I think trainer difficulty affects your virtual speed, make it easier and you go slower.

3 Likes

Agreed, I’ve always thought of it as a way of (virtually) adjusting the size of your chainring(s).

E.g. set trainer difficulty to 80% and your real 42 tooth front ring becomes a virtual 34 or thereabouts.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Quote from the above article “Trainer difficulty has no impact on speed, the amount of effort you have to put out to generate that power will be the same if it was at set at 10% or 100%, although you will use different gears.” so this doesn’t really answer Malte’s question especially as the RGT session is a “competition”?

3 Likes

Seconded. Sneaky little bastard that. @#$% Time Triallers…

:hot_face: :hot_face: :hot_face:

3 Likes

It might not be the best piece of wording, but that exactly tallies with what @jesawdy and myself are saying.

i.e. If you need to output say 200Watts to go at 25KmH on RGT with trainer difficulty at 100% then whatever you set trainer difficuly to it will still require 200Watts to achieve 25KmH it’s just that the resistance generated by the trainer will be much less at 10% so you either spin out in your usual gear or you change up to a bigger gear than normal to push 200Watts.

3 Likes

Literally the worst wording IMHO, but I sorta get why they want to say it that way. It’s power based to reach a certain speed… so changes your gearing, or change what the slope feels like to you (which effectively changes your speed for a given rpm, no?)

1 Like

Is it possible to ride say the 1st. section now and the second section tomorrow and still have total effort counted against the May Challenge?

@Timothy1961 it may not be clear at first glance, but the RGT event has you ride two laps of the same loop, so you end up getting two times on section 1 and two times on section 2. I don’t know if they are looking at actual event completions, times in sections, or both, so I can’t answer your question precisely. That said, I don’t think you can teleport ahead in this event, so you’d end up riding section 1 again to get to section 2.

One lap is only 5 miles, so not a huge time commitment. The full two laps took me 43 minutes. You can certainly ride the event several times over the month if you wanted to.

EDIT - all that said this is the description on RGT “ride 2 laps of our favorite Italian Real Road in Wahoo RGT for your chance to win a signed EF men’s and women’s team jersey, as well as some Wahoo swag” and there was that pesky Terms and Conditions link above! I suppose you need to do both laps to have “completed” the event.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I will try it some evening when I am feeling fresher, did Thin Air this pm; hope the old training is going well for you…thanks again regards Tim

1 Like

Those segments in the ride - is there any way to find the ranking? Are they Strava segments or something? I wasn’t paying attention during the ride…

1 Like

I join the question…

why, there is no determinable training benefit from doing a ride in RGT. To do a work out you need to pull in another source for the intervals, the terrain never matches the interval type and you don’t get any other skills or benefits from actually riding the bike.
Don’t even try and justify ‘racing’ as this is just a stupid way of poorly doing unstructure threshold efforts.

1 Like

Different strokes for different folks… at least you are not forced to use RGT for the monthly badge. It’s not a structured workout environment per se, it’s a virtual cycling world (that does match the given gradient etc. when used that way) that can also be used to do structured workouts if you want.

While clearly it isn’t your cup of tea, there are many (and mostly entirely outside of these forums) that use RGT quite a lot.

5 Likes

Agreed. Somehow when I glanced at the profile I had it in my mind that it would only be a 10 minute effort … then reality set in after the warmup when I saw how much time still remained for this short workout.

3 Likes

“Short”. :wink:

1 Like

@JamesJordan I have definitely found benefits from both RGT and also ProRides - using them as practice races when I can’t get outdoors.

5 Likes

To put it another way, the trainer % controls the flatness of the course, but not the watts to speed ratio.

Setting it to 80% will make a 10% incline on the map feel like an 8% incline to you. SYSTM will send a signal to your smart trainer to give you resistance corresponding to that 8% incline. If you put out 200 watts, you’ll get the same speed you would expect for a 200W effort on an 8% incline.

Theoretically, setting it to 0% would give you a perfectly flat ride, but I haven’t tried it. I did this route at 100% and gassed myself before the last big hill on the second lap. Rather than mess with the percentage, I opted to slap it into ERG mode lol.

1 Like

Now that I think about it, for the purpose of equalizing segment standings, perhaps it gives you the speed output of 200 Watts on a 10% incline, even though you only felt an 8% incline’s worth of resistance.

1 Like

Thought ERG mode in RGT only worked in workouts and not rides/magic rides/ events/ just rides??