Wahoo X May Challenge - Pursuit of Pink!

Well, it definitely worked. After I do the other three May workouts, I will check to see if it actually counted haha

Please read manual first then write post :grinning: HERE

1 Like

I know that but it is not true ERG in the real sense. It only sets a fixed wattage which you have to change manually as and when. My answer related to ERG mode as respects it changing in relation to your own power profile which it doesn’t so in that sense ERG mode does not work properly in anything apart from workouts

Can anyone explain how to run this challenge at all? Maybe there is a video about it somewhere? I have a page "Giro d’Italia 1 (May monthly challenge). It has a button “Download the app to play”. Clicking on this button takes me to the page of applications that I have installed. How do I start this workout?

You just need to complete the three SYSTM X videos via the phone or computer app sometime during the month of May to complete the Challenge. You don’t have to follow the “Training Plan”, that was just an easy way to get all the required workouts on your SYSTM X calendar. Optionally, you can do the one additional event in RGT.

Are you brand new to SYSTM X?

And specifically for this workout (which I did last night), you will want to turn off the “auto-pause” feature (it has a standing start in it, this is generally recommended for the ProRides series of workouts anyhow). And depending on how you are feeling, or how well your trainer responds to quick changes, you might prefer to not use ERG mode and just run it in Level mode, trying to hit the power on your own. I went to level mode after about three or four minutes of the longer interval but then went back to ERG mode after I recovered a tad, but I dialed it back to 90%, too late in the day, too tired.

For the majority of the duration of the ProRides series workouts, there are no cadence or HR targets, just power targets. They are meant to simulate a race and you get it done however you can get it done. If you are using ERG mode, keep an eye out for all the power spikes so you’re prepared to jump and/or spin up the cadence a bit in preparation.

Hey @lucmen72, welcome to the forums! If you see that, you are on the SYSTM web page and not the actual app page. They look identical but they’re not. The web page allows you to do almost everything you can do in the app EXCEPT play videos and workouts.

One your app is open, you should be able to go to the Library<Cycling then navigate to the workout you want to do.

There are some great explainers on how to use SYSTM on The Company support site here: https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/sections/5183647197586-SYSTM

And, as for the monthly challenges, there’s this as well: https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/8428608137490-Monthly-Challenges

The Company’s support site is NOT the easiest thing to navigate but most things you want to know will be there, somewhere, if you dig. Don’t hesitate to post questions on the forum either, it’s a great community and most people will do whatever they can to try to help you out.

1 Like

Are you in the webpage or the web app, they look the same and this confused me at first. if you are here https://systm.wahoofitness.com/ this is the web page. You need to download the Systm app and its from there you can do the workouts

2 Likes

Rode Giro d’Italia 1, this morning. That wakes you up faster than a cup of SUF coffee and a pain shake.

8 Likes

Here are the hyperlinks to open the workouts directly in the app too. All you need to do is complete these 3 workouts in SYSTM to get the badge and you will be able to see the badge once you complete it here: SYSTM

We also have the RGT Pursuit of Pink Challenge running which has the prize giveaways but will not count towards the SYSTM badge.
https://user.rgtcycling.com/event?code=YE6EGV

4 Likes

jesawdy; Glen.Coutts; ozmadman; Coach.Rupert.H;
Thank you all for the explanations. Figured it out. I found thees Giro d’Italia 1 (SYSTM - ProRide)
Thin Air (SYSTEM - Sufferfest)
Crescendo (SYSTEM - Inspiration). And if I understood correctly, it is necessary to pass these three trainings to participate.
And training in RGT - if I’ll want.

the link GIRO 1 doesn’t work. To search need to type #

Is there a difference in the sequence of training sessions?
I have training “Rue The Day” today according to the plan. What do you think will replace it more fully - “THIN AIR” or “#GIRA1 d’Italia”?

Thanks for the tip. I will work in ERG mode. The only thing I didn’t understand is what is recommended for a smart machine. Which is preferable? - install a small front star and a large one of the cassette at the back or a large connecting rod star and a small rear star of the cassette.

1 Like

#briefbutawful

4 Likes

Ok, RGT is still confusing as hell.

• UX controls are very confusing, a bright white switch doesn’t look “OFF” to me. Just add the word ON/OFF by the right side of the switches please
  • Confusing dates: RGT app says Thursday 20th April, the email I got after signing up says 19th April, and here we are in May.
  • Tell us whether ERG mode is recommended or not
  • And, the main thing, is that it’s weird to add an unstructured race/TT in amongst the SYSTM training - please give us the option of some structured training guidance even if it’s just “ride the whole thing in Level 2 for benefit x and y, and here’s the best RGT settings to do that”

Elsewhere:

• Crescendo was ok
  • Thin Air was great. Darwin Atapuma is great to watch and follow.
2 Likes

I wouldn’t overthink the monthly challenges. It’s designed to keep us engaged and do some themed workouts. Whether and how they fit in your schedule, is up to you.

You can ride the RGT ride however it suits you best: ride it to smash the two timed sections, ride it as a TT to get on the final leaderboard, ride it as a workout that’s on your schedule anyways (in Erg mode) or ride it as a recovery ride. In any case you’ll stand a chance to win goodies. ( I want that EF jersey )

And you still get the badge if you don’t ride the RGT ride, but do ride the 3 SYSTM rides.

I thought Crescendo was boring. I’ve seen it before and it’s not one of the ones worth re-watching (sorry). It doesn’t have proper race footage and I remember pretty much all the conversations from the last time I watched it. It was a mental toughness challenge this time round.

The Giro time trial was good - I like that kind of suffering.

Thin Air next - gonna be fun, I’m looking forward to that one.

4 Likes

Yeah, i mean what you wrote about riding the RGT as you want would be great guidelines to put into the RGT app ride description. E.g. TT with ERG off, training ride with ERG on, etc… It’s only the second or third time I’ve done RGT (compared to many SYSTM per week) and any guidance like you wrote, in the app (or at minimum in the wahoo announcement) would be very helpful.

3 Likes

Pro rides absolutely, great way to get in a effort with tangible results as well as building the capacity to deal with the under/overs and sustain efforts while racing.

RGT is structureless but I can see the appeal for those counties that have no outdoor riding for months at a time. Fortunately in Australia you can ride all year.

2 Likes

@gwydion I generally ride RGT with ERG switched off and just change gears. I rode the Pienza Challenge pretty hard - like a race - and ended up with a .96 IF for the session.

1 Like

Did Thin Air this morning. The last 12 minutes are one of my favorites of any ride. Makes me laugh and also ride harder than I think I can.

8 Likes

Yeah, same, but still wish there was some guidance ahead of the event, rather than afterwards. I rode it quite (too) hard, and not sure whether that was a good training effect or counterproductive. Aaaanyway…

3 Likes

Just to balance out my criticism of the RGT session, the ProRides: Giro d’Italia 1 was absolutely brilliant. Tough, but so good. Great DS commentary - and thanks for adding text captions there. Great intro and outro. Excellent choice!

Also appreciating seeing the pop-ups with Attila Valter’s real-life stats compared to a normal human being… :rofl:

10 Likes