What's considered "old" to train?

Better to wear out than rust out.

5 Likes

Better to burn out than fade away?
Hey hey, my my!

1 Like

The “fade away” lyric is from “my my hey hey (out of the blue)”.

Hey hey my my (into the black) changes the lyric to “ … burn out, cause rust never sleeps”.

:grinning:

1 Like

This is a great discussion, and it’s time to retire “too old to train” and “came to the sport late in life” (i.e. after 22-25). I’m in my 50’s and race and train, probably since starting with SUF/SYSTM, have been in the best shape ever.

Of course there is a lot to do to change the too old perception. Just last night I was looking at BMX bikes (I want to get back into flatland and ride pump tacks), and heard, “you’re not in your 20’s any more”… :man_facepalming:

5 Likes

I was commuting home (by bike) on the ferry one evening and there was an older lady with a Pinarello F12. I (of course) admired her bike.

She said her son in law bought it for her. Apparently her children took away all her bikes when she turned 75 and said road riding wasnt an appropriate activity for a retired lady. Her son in law objected and has kept her in top of the range bikes ever since. Clearly he’s a fellow cyclist. When I met her, she was well into her 80s and didn’t look a day older than 55 and #confession
She absolutely smashed me on the climb out from the ferry terminal. I could make excuses that I wasn’t fit at the time and was carrying my work clothes and a very heavy laptop. All true but she was also insanely fast. And no, it was not an e road bike.

15 Likes

I’m training at 70

3 Likes

66 here and I’m still suffering away.

Not as fast as I used to be (not that I was very fast to begin with) but the hard work is good for my mood and my waistline.

Just don’t be discouraged when you see the awesome power numbers put out by the younger folks. If you must compare, compare to your own age group.

3 Likes

Or the older folks! My 32 year old son crushes me. But many of his riding buddies are older than I am and they crush him. There’s a lot more than age going on.

Just be you and improve from there.

4 Likes

So glad it’s not just me, @DameLisa !

2 Likes

Hah, I know right! They’re unreal!

2 Likes

61 and cannot believe anyone is asking this #%!k&ng question? I can do advanced training in SUF at 100% 11+ hours a week…so the answer is clear​:wink::cote_divoire:

5 Likes

I am 60 and plan on riding the Silver Rush 50 Mtb race in July.

Get tough creampuff!

Stages Cycling Silver Rush 50 MTB - Leadville Race Series

4 Likes

@montgoma Right there with you except 5 years older than you. Just did Hammer Climb 1 for the first time today…at 100%.

My mentor just gave up skiing last year, at age 92! He still takes his mountain bike out on the easier trails to this day on the new bike he bought himself when he turned 90.

We’ve still got 2+ decades ahead of us.

6 Likes

I love this.

4 Likes

Great thread, I am 46 and this is my first year of structured training (so I am hopeful that after years of just sending it, that this approach will offset some of the effects of aging, I mainly want to beat my own PR’s from 5 years ago and, on occasion, make a few younger guys cry.

When I die, I don’t plan on leaving this body in like new condition - I plan on sliding into the grave, broken, bruised and ready - having lived a life of adventure and the satisfaction/joy that is earned as a result of the suffering. Can’t take it with you.

6 Likes

@Jon A-side amateur rugby with college kids and former football players into my mid-40’s. “Medically retired” by my wife. I hear you.

:grimacing:

2 Likes

As the old saying goes, better to wear out than rust out.

6 Likes

Too old to train at 40? too right, it should not be allowed. Luckily I am 69 so I do not count…
I am still competitive with myself and so my ambitions are in line with what I can do with a bit of effort. Sometimes I wonder why flog myself when I could just enjoy riding. I am doing the tour nuclear, why? there is no need to any more, yet it is that competitive spirit that drives me on.

6 Likes

Good for you. This is my first tour, age 66, and am going to give it a go nuclear as well. Good luck and happy suffering!

5 Likes

Here is another good article on the subject of the aging athlete which includes many good points about increasing strength work and changing training to feature more recovery.

1 Like