200 Mile Gravel Plan vs Mountain Fondo

Probably a question for the coaches.

Assume both plans are considered at high volume and 3:1 progression. So, what are the differences between the two plans in terms of the outcome?

Specifically, how will the gravel plan prepare you better than Mountain Fondo for longer (e.g. 300km) mountainous road events?

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

GREAT question. Looking forward to reading the responses.

1 Like

That’s an interesting question indeed. I’ve just put them side by side on the screen and there’s not a lot of difference between them.

Perhaps the answer is ‘marketing’: same product, different brand.

1 Like

hahaha. I did the same and I thought there was actually a fair amount of difference :man_shrugging: Looked at high volume 2:1 plan.

The fondo has violator and goat and The Model (twice) Nine Hammers etc and seems to have a bigger focus on shorter punchier efforts vs the gravel that seems a lot more focused on longer sustained efforts.

4 Likes

Exactly this.

I managed to write down the original Ian Boswell 200mile GG plan and it is brutal co pared to the current 200GG plan

5 Likes

Doesn’t it depend on the type of rider you are? I’ve done the mountain fondo 3/1 high volume twice now and never had violator or GOAT in it. In fact, i’ve never done violator. My plan had:
SUF idol
Defender
Blender short
Attacker
The bat
A very dark place
Angels
Revolver (sub by cygnet road the 2nd time)
Team scream (sub by hammer chase the 2nd time)
Cobbler
Nine hammers
The chores
Do as you’re told
Joyride
The cure
Cash register

1 Like

First, THAT needs to be rectified, like right now!!

Second, I’m not sure if the vids change based on your rider type. I was looking at the 2:1 plan. Maybe because of the ratio, they change the rides they want you to do and how often. I’m hoping a coach/SUF Scientist weighs in here cuz I am genuinely curious on their thoughts.

3 Likes

I think they used to be rider type based but nownthey are more weakness/strength based? But am not entirely sure.

2 Likes

Perhaps the difference is volume? GG simply has more hours in the saddle than MF.

Is this the reason why it’s recommended for 300km road Fondo’s?

1 Like

Probably

2 Likes

High volume 3:1 MF has ~88 hours. High volume 3:1 GG has ~101 hours. So a 13 hour difference.

It equates to about 1½ weeks worth of extra volume in MF.

2 Likes

As promised in a previous post, I did Violator today.
It is so much fun (cough, cough), you should try it @alopezor.

7 Likes