4DP Rider Type

End of December I did my first FF test and my results have given me a rider type of “attacker.”

I’m currently in a training plan to work on my MAP/V02 as this is my weaknesses which I knew beforehand but awesome the test recognized that as well.

Question is, can I train to be a more rounded rider like “rouluer” when I’m done? When I race I don’t attack at all but I follow the attacks/surges as best as I can, as often as I can. Usually finish somewhere in top 10 on Zwift. I don’t considered myself a “attacker” but I’ll take it and maybe start attacking in races and see how I do. Tia.

4 Likes

I’m guessing a bit here but, given your profile and your relatively strong sprints, improving your MAP will likely result in an improvement in FTP as well and the end result will be a change in your rider type to sprinter. I say that given our similarities and that until I upped my AC I was a “sprinter” for every one of my FF tests.

I’d also say that if you can follow all those attacks and still finish in the top 10, that you absolutely ought to be doing the attacking yourself. Set the pace, control the race, and you’re still likely to do well if it ends in a bunch sprint.

Looking forward to hearing how you make out.

5 Likes

Awesome, thank you for all of this. I’m a little over a year in my cycling journey and just have been building my base and power. My race craft/knowledge is definitely “novice” but I’m learning now when to attack and start dishing out some hurt locker of my own. I just never knew what “attack” actually meant and where. I thought it was anywhere on the course, lol. This is not the case. Overall, just trying to improve my cycling IQ.

In heart, I know I’m a sprinter but trying to get more diverse in my rider profile. I had lost some weight over the last few months and it dropped my FTP but I can climb a lot better and I feel a little more balance but I will never be a climber. I’m 93kg (205lbs) lol. But do good on short, punchy climbs and rolling hills. I’ll keep you posted. Next FF will be end of February/early March.

1 Like

Well, as far as I know, an attack can occur anywhere in a course. In Sufferlandria, it’s often during a climb :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

That is true but I only really see ppl attack on the steepest/hardest parts of a climb. Which breaks ppl, lol, I guess that’s the point.

I see ppl attack on flats or other places but they seem to always fail or chase pick reels them back in quickly. I for sure, if I can, will not lot anyone getaway unless they’re bringing me with them lol.

1 Like

Attacking on a climb is a great strategy…for a climber. Like you, I’m not built that way. Also like you, I love climbing tho and in particular the short punchy ones where I at least have a chance of not getting dropped.

1 Like

Exactly, short punchy ones I can survive….its those long climbs that get me, especially when they attack on them. As it should, I will never weigh 60kg lol.

1 Like

I love long climbs too, Alpe d’Huez, Stelvio, Ventoux etc but I’d never race anyone on there.

2 Likes

lol agreed, I’m not racing anyone up these monsters. I have done ADZ (due for another trip) still need to do the others you mentioned.

1 Like

The point and value of Systm 4DP is that the training plans created for you are based on your FF results and designed to help improve upon your weaknesses for your stated goals.

In my case, when I first go to selecting plan, I see a the top of the page, “Your plan will be fully tailored to your Sprinter Rider Type, 4DP profile, and Sustained weakness.” My plans focus MAP and FTP for improvement.

1 Like

Yes, all of that is understood. Currently I’m working on my MAP/V02 which is my weakness but my rider profile is “attacker” which makes sense to me as I knew my V02 is subpar. I guess I will learn the adaptation as I complete training programs tailored to me and doing FF. Curious and anxious to see the results of my next FF.

3 Likes

r u saying you are looking forward to FF?
:joy: :rofl: :smiling_imp:

1 Like

@Wattsup21 , as Sir Glen said, you´ll most likely end up a sprinter. I share roughly same numbers as you, developed from Pursuiter to Sprinter. On your part, for comparision it will be mainly about “W/KG”. I changed back n forth in training focus, so my body is more built for sprinter. Since last year i changed more on “endurance/base efforts” paired with some MAP stuff in between (which helps me most for building my summer form and season-goals). Training your Sprints and AC can be fun too btw, could give you legs like HULK in powerstation. Kind of your decision where to focus on.

1 Like

Also I think glen hinted at this but yes, you can definitely train to be more well rounded, and any “general” plan you pick should lead you in that direction even as it’s tailored for your weakness.

Like for example I have a sprint weakness. All my other parameters go up as I train, sprint tends to be stuck. But if I put a 12 week general road plan on my calendar, it’s still mostly endurance, tempo, ftp and map, the extra nm sessions only change the plan on the margins.

Which makes sense, right? Like for example road sprinters: Unless you’re a track sprinter or bmx, everyone can use more sustained power, so road sprinters should still train endurance and ftp and shoukd train it pretty much the same way as anyone else

4 Likes

Awesome, makes perfect sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain your take.

In a weird, lunatic way. lol. More like the results of it…. Not there during.

1 Like

100%. I used to dread it, now I merely hate it from the core of my being but it is sooooooooo satisfying to complete.

1 Like

Yea, that’s where I’m currently stuck at. I’m almost done with my MAP training plan and trying to setup the next but really need to narrow down how I want to train and what to focus on. I know I will never be a singer climber but I tend to like the hard, short max effort or punchy climbs throughout a race vs flat. W/KG seems the direction I want to move in verse training to be a raw sprinter. Trying to find the right balance I guess.

Exactly, same here. Just one of those things you have to “check the box” every now and again but completing it, is a great great feeling. Took me a year to even attempt one. lol. Precious, I would just do ramp test but it always over inflated my numbers.

1 Like