COBBLER is out now!

Loved this workout. Really brilliant. So well put together, hard, but really “helps” you to push through, and great sense of achievement at the finish! Thank you.

2 Likes

I did this today - fantastic workout with a great video and story. Loved how the graphics for peloton kept changing as the breakaway formed :rofl:
I had the choice of 90 minutes outside (can’t - Wales is in lockdown and riding from home wouldn’t be ‘mellow’ as the plan required), or Open 90. I figured setting FTP to put my power at the same point as that and doing a new video would be a lot more fun - I was right!

4 Likes

More mentally than physically challenging but it gave me a 2020 PR for 90 minute power and my legs have reminded me it wasn’t all that easy.

4 Likes

Oh wow. Just finished. What a workout! Quite a different feel than the HIIT type workouts, both physically and mentally.

Definitely will do this again and again…

2 Likes

This was by far the best movie I have seen this year! :slight_smile: I really loved the footage, storyline and soundtrack, and this helped a lot in sustaining the longer blocks and time actually seemed to fly by.
Looking forward to trying Attacker as well and also to more videos like this. Keep up the good work guys!

6 Likes

Same issue for me on iPad Air 2.

2 Likes

Great workout! Banging music and engaging storyline. Honestly, since someone compared it to HHNF I was expecting an epic beatdown, but it was just right, a hard sustained effort but without the wanting to throw up part.

Congrats to everyone involved in producing it!

3 Likes

Last week I did Cobbler, and I have mixed feelings, the images and the plot are really well done, for a session of 1.75 hours it goes very quickly.
However in terms of power I found it quite weak, not every day you can spend all that time for just over 100 TSS. This has a solution which is to increase the ftp values ​​for this session, however the cadences issue is not clear to me, I don’t know if any trainer can clarify something about it.

Cheers Juan. Glad you like it!
(purely from a workout perspective, it’s what HHNF should be… ie it’s not necessarilly that Cobbler is too easy. It’s that HHNF is too hard for the intended purpose. something we’re in the process of addressing).

4 Likes

Hey Luisva.

Here is what Sir Neal Henderson, our Head of SUF science, had to say when we were in the process of producing this video and asked about possibly increasing the FTP values which will answer your question.

"I never prescribe over 90-95% FTP for efforts > 15 minutes. Even for WorldTour riders, a 25 minute effort is generally 80-90% FTP. So no need to increase intensity for the long blocks. The surges and some of the higher intensity is almost beyond what I want in this session anyhow, so definitely, no increases needed/wanted in those blocks."

As Neal always likes to remind us: “More isn’t always better. Sometimes it’s just more.”

12 Likes

This should be fixed now.

2 Likes

thanks for those wise words

Really interesting to know, thanks. I’ve got tempo 2x20 scheduled tomorrow as an outdoor ride, but I’m thinking of swapping to Cobbler, reducing intensity to 95% for the first two blocks then to 70-75% for the final block to make that one zone 2. I’m hoping that will be fairly true to my plan while still letting me see what Cobbler is about. Going to 95% doesn’t make feel so bad about issuing some suffering now that I know Sir Neil prefers to prescribe that type of intensity for those blocks! #trusttheplan

1 Like

I’m not a coach (so don’t hold me to it) but based on your plan, I would swap it around to get the best of the on-screen action.
Reduce intensity to 70-75% for the first block (or even skip it all together) then ride the last 2 (action-packed) blocks at 95% intensity.
Depending on how you feel, you could then rewind it to the first block and complete it to get your extra volume in.

3 Likes

Did this for the first time today. Spent the first interval fretting about trainer calibration, soon forgot about that halfway through the second block!

I wonder if the friends of Roubaix are trying to work out where this sudden influx of new members has come from :joy:

I might see if I can get to France next year for a bit of muddy spectating action…

2 Likes

I rode cobbler this feek the first time. great workout! :smile:

1 Like

Had a good time with the Cobbler, good music, story and of course suffering.

By any chance did people see the ghost of fluffy in on the right part of the screen in SUFsector 1? Don’t know if I missed him there staring at my stem and just caught the fade.

Going to have to wait a couple of days and take a look again.

Great work again Minions and GvA

2 Likes

Holy mother of Grunter von Agony.

“Cobbler” is a hit.

Lots of hits, actually: Legs. Lungs. Ego.

And, to think: It was only a few years ago when my chief complaint against SUF was the lack of workouts over one hour in length. I will never be ungrateful again, for karma may be patient, but karma is not kind, nor does it forgive all things. Anything, actually.

But, for today: #MoreThanYou

5 Likes

Had such a “great” and “fun” time on Cobbler this morning I’m spending my afternoon rewatching (for the third time this year) the 2019 Paris Roubaix.

(To be fair, I’m doing so while grading papers, so there’s some suffering going on.)

2 Likes

I had an issue where during Cobbler the App stopped talking to the Trainer via Bluetooth during the session with about 20mins left- 1st time its ever happened in a year of using the system.
HRM was picking up which was also a Bluetooth sensor
Will be re-doing the session under the power of Ant+ to see if it behaves itself.