Fitting regular races into training plans

Hi all,

Just wondering how people go about fitting racing into their training. I like having a plan on the go so I don’t have to think about what I’m doing each morning, just login and click go, but lately in the lockdown I’m enjoying online racing (in the other place) for a bit of fun in the absence of outdoor rides.

Over time I guess racing on rest days would result in over-training, is it better to plan the schedule so the races are replacing one of the hard sessions in the plan?

Or better yet, is there some way to incorporate races into the plans? If I race every Sunday and Wednesday morning (for example)

Be interested to hear how others go about it.

Cheers!

1 Like

Have a look at the e-racing plan. It has workouts that can be substituted for races.

3 Likes

Thanks, will take a look. Haven’t looked at them before as eRacing isn’t something I ever thought I want to get better at.

When the real world resumes, target events will be 300-400km so I’m trying to have overall training geared towards that, and just throw the races in for fun. Guessing the 60 minute+ plan on eRacing will still work a decent amount of endurance into the plan.

1 Like

I’ve just finished it (didn’t do any e-racing :joy:) and thought it was a great plan. From memory, the longest session in a week is only around 1:30 though.

2 Likes

Can’t comment on racing but do commend you on your choice of user name :smile:

5 Likes

FWIW:

If race day is Thursday (might as well just say it - WTRL TTT on Zwift for example), I’ve finally landed on this:

Monday - VO2 (take your pick - I’m usually on NH, sometimes something not quite as bonkers but still VO2)
Tue - STR + one of PS or GOAT
Wed - have found a recovery ride is better than zero. Yoga definitely (recovery one) though yoga happens the other days as well the other days it tends to be more activation
Thur - GCN RSG before the event, and do event. In my case the event is pretty much FTP with surges so it sits nicely as a really hard hour but not in the same way Monday was.
Fri - full rest
Sat - literally do whatever I like to full knackered/ness
Sun - repeat.

I’ve got this loaded in to Training Peaks now.

If using the app, I’d get one if the road race ones with outdoor at weekends which front load VO2/STR it my event was every Thursday.

Then I’d manually add something to reflect the thur effort every week (I run open 120 in parallel for example)

Now you can safely delete this nonsense :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing Martin, will sit down with the calendar tomorrow and have a proper look through some options.

1 Like

I was wondering if you had cloned yourself at first!

2 Likes

And then you woke up and realised it was just a nightmare :wink: (the me cloning myself bit)

2 Likes

@James_T I would structure a Pre eRacing week as follows:

I would recommend a training cycle of 2 weeks training followed by 1 week recovery. Below I have provided 3 different scenarios. It will depend on when a recovery day best fits your schedule, how your body reacts to recovery, if your legs feel blocked after and how many hard workouts you can complete successfully each week. This is largely dependent on age and life demands.

Option 1

Friday- To Get To The Other Side @ 75% Intensity
Saturday- Day Off
Sunday- 14 Vice Grips & Strength
Monday- Thin Air or Defender
Tuesday- Yoga and or Cadence Builds or Cadence Builds and Holds. This could also be a day off
Wednesday- Primers & Yoga
Thursday- Race Day & Strength

Option 2

Friday- Day OFF/ Recovery
Saturday- A Very Dark Place & Strength
Sunday- To Get To The Other Side @ 75%
Monday- The Chores & Strength
Tuesday- Yoga and or Cadence Builds or Cadence Builds and Holds. This could also be a day off
Thursday- Race Day

Option 3

Friday- Thin Air
Saturday- To Get To The Other Side @ 75%
Sunday- Day OFF/ Recovery
Monday- A Very Dark Place & Strength
Thursday- Race Day & Strength

The SUF eRacing Training Plans are the way to go!

7 Likes

Thanks Simon! Much appreciated, will definitely be taking a proper look at the eRacing plans.

I’ve just been convinced (by myself) to go for another everesting in a week and a bit, so will reassess to come up with a new plan going forward after that. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If there’s ever any confusion over which one of us James T’s is which then I shall reference this comment. The James T writing these words would rather do Violator on repeat than anything all day climby (and anybody that knows me knows that!) :hamster: :grin:

1 Like