GCN Workouts gone?

Hey guys. Yes, very sorry but we had to remove the GCN videos from SYSTM as the licensing agreement had come to an end and we were not able to agree on a renewal. These were the least popular videos on the platform (by a long shot).

I put a notice on each video description for the last month or so announcing that they would be removed at the end of December.

There are new NoVids for all of them now designed by our Sports Science team.

16 Likes

I don’t mind seeing the videos as such removed and replaced by simple NoVids, but communication, i.e. proper and timely announcement, could have been slightly more elegant

6 Likes

I like the videos - need something visual - pleeeeeeeze! Novids nogood for me :frowning:

4 Likes

That’s kinda my feeling too. Now, to be fair, there are some GREAT workouts as no-vids but to get me engaged, I NEED a video and ideally, one with the whole 9 yard-hammers Sufferfest treatment. I think that for each GNC vid that’s been removed, a new Sufferfest vid should be planted, in its place :pray: :pray: :pray: :heart:

15 Likes

I quite like sticking RGT on the TV (detecting power) and using my phone with systm to control the trainer. Give you a nice mix of ‘how hard your going’ next to a structured workout.
Did a tempo no vid with an extra shot to get up virtual alpe du huez the other week.

4 Likes

Yep, the sufferfest ones are good - even though I"ve never been able to acutally suffer in them. I think my set levels are too low, or somehow they make them easier for me.

1 Like

This is intersting, I’m going to try that.

Have you done the FF fitness test? Or the Half Monty. If you’re not suffering then something is wrong and your levels need to be adjusted.

Now, to be totally honest, most of the videos should not completely DESTROY you but many of them should be very tough and some so tough you think you might not complete them but you somehow manage anyway. The most brutal ones have been adjusted over the years in such a way as to ensure you’re getting the best training benefit and not just smashing yourself to bits. That is, provided the levels have been accurately set to your current fitness capacity.

3 Likes

Yes, I"m starting to think that too. Will make enquiries. I’ve done a couple of tests - maybe I’m just too lazy in the tests, if that’s possible.

1 Like

Here is a link to get the most out of the Full Frontal fitness test.

You should be totally spent by the end of it. In fact you should feel like you just barely made it through each of the 4 elements of the test and probably wondered whether you would have to bail at some point during the 5 minute effort and probably several points during the 20 minute effort. The 1 minute effort should feel like an eternity.

So, I highly recommend reading through the link above as well as then implementing the 1 week prep plan that has the Half Monty mid way through the week. If you do the HM properly , it will give you fairly reasonable targets for the FF test at the end of the week. Search through the forums here for Full Frontal and/or Half Monty and you’ll get tons of opinions and experiences from others. Including the coaches.

6 Likes

@ikeaingrid @Glen.Coutts Check out the browser extension - I have used it with the NoVids to export them to RGT. I really like it and you can pick whatever scenery you want to see. I tent to prefer flat courses when doing workouts. You will need to add your own playlist.

5 Likes

Disappointing. An announcement here in the forum would have been nice. I really liked the GCN Workouts. I found the spinning videos a nice alternative to the other formats. But I understand that if the videos are used by so few users, the license fees are not worth it.

Would it be possible to post a list of which video is which Novid Workout now?

3 Likes

Thanks for this Sir @JSampson but that doesn’t quite fit the bill for me “engagement” wise. If doing a workout, I don’t just need something to look at (like a sim road or route) but something to engage me like the SUF vids. It’s been a while since I’ve done this but I have done many workouts on Zwift and just found it mind numbing.

To your point though, doing a workout on a real road, or a magic road as opposed to the fantasy ones I think is worth another shot so I resolve this year to give it a go at least once more.*

*my success at keeping resolutions is suspect :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Does anyone know if these are now available elsewhere? Wish I’d downloaded them locally!

Discusting even for a rich |Corp as Wahoo is…and what not to agree to?money and better workouts, that can not be the case here RIGHT.
Someone wash writing this:
i.e. proper and timely announcement, could have been slightly more elegant
Yes what happend to that…
And YES I like to ride with GCN and the people are cool, nice girls enz…
oke than what’s next
yesus it still raining in Amsterdam
yesus Wahoo what have you done:))))

You can find them on GCN’s YouTube channel as well as in the GCN app.

4 Likes

I don’t think they’re as rich as you think they are. I think they’re trying to keep their heads above water.

1 Like

@David.McQuillen.KoS maybe this is a good opportunity to record some new instructor led classes and either add them as new workouts or give videos to some of the no-vids

It seems wahoo have a LOT of sponsored athletes/teams (https://uk.wahoofitness.com/athletes), i can’t imagine it’d be that hard to get some studio time with them. Doing an interval session with Sam Long or Emily Batty seems like a lot more fun than staring at a blue line on the screen.

7 Likes

I’m really disappointed about this. The main reason I subscribed was because of the GCN workouts. I can’t get on with the Sufferfest type workouts where you have to watch the screen like a hawk to find out what you are supposed to be doing. The GCN workouts are great because they talk to you. I loved the banter, and encouragement. Without them, Systm becomes expensive when I use other platforms (which GCN does appear on) for interactivity.
Sure, they are available on YouTube, but then you have to rely on “perceived effort”, which negates the point of having a smart trainer. I wonder if I could play the YouTube video whilst having Systm controlling the Turbo? The issue here would be synchronisation, which could be tricky.

True. No announcement (that I noticed). But there was a banner on top of each GCN workout.

1 Like