GCN Workouts gone?

The big question is, “What happened between Wahoo and GCN?” I think both got in trouble a few years ago regarding an advertising issue. Could that have lead to a break between the two? They seem to be on friendly terms. Manon was just in Colo. Springs a couple of months ago for a tour of the performance lab.

If the replacement NoVid in Systm is similar enough still, you could try to sync them - won’t be perfect though.

Probably just a simple issue of both sides having different and irreconcilable views of the perceived value of the videos, espiecially since Wahoo know:

$(GCN perceived value) > $(Wahoo perceived value) with the gap being too big to find an equitable meeting point equals no more GCN on SYSTM

9 Likes

I’ve ridden several of the GCN videos. I thought they were fine. If I’d wanted a Peleton-style studio experience, however, I’d have bought a Peleton instead of a KICKR.

8 Likes

Here are the new titles of the Workouts:

GCN Title NoVid Title
Aerobic Endurance Tempo Alternating Cadence: 2 x 20
Endurance Ride Tempo with Surges: 2 x 20
Equalizer Micro Intervals: Equal Work Rest 10/20/30/20/10
Escalator Tempo/FTP Progressive Build
Max Efforts minimum Time AC: 2 Sets 5 x 30
Muscular Endurance intervals Sub-Threshold Variable Cadence: 2 x 20
Power Torque intervals Micro Intervals: 3 Sets 8/6/4 x 40/20s
Ready, Steady, Go Warm Up: 25 Minutes
Sprint Efforts AC: 5 x 30
Strength Endurance Tempo Increasing Cadence: 6 x 2
Torque monster Standing starts 2 x 20s Plus Big Gear MAP: 2 Sets 4 x 30
VO2 Max Intervals MAP Decreasing Duration: 4/3/2/1/30s
33 Likes

I shared this in its own post Sir. Hope I’m not stepping on any toes.

4 Likes

Nice. And ‘MAP Decreasing Duration: 4/3/2/1/30s’ sounds a lot less painful than ‘VO2 Max Intervals’. Something tells me it isn’t.

2 Likes

So here’s a note to self: Careful what you wish for! this mornings sufferfest was not wimpy at all, even had to leave out one of the 40 sec MAP intervals. Managed all the rest but it was a challenge in places. Loved the videos BTW (and the music). ref. Sufferfest Blender (mini version). And I’d assumed because it was Monday it was going to be an easy ride - another note to self: do better planning ahead, and never assume :joy:

3 Likes

I vote for adding vids and music to no-vids (turn those no-vids into go-vids)

2 Likes

I was just checking to see if I could swap out my 30 min recovery ride tomorrow (no-vid) for the RGT 30 min recovery ride around Canary Warf which looks exactly the same in terms of watts, HR etc. Then I’d be seeing some sort of video and engage with other riders. Also run spotify at the same time on my phone for some music. Sounds great, but I can’t figure out how to send that RGT workout after it’s done to my SYSTM calendar, so that it counts. Anyone know if it’s possible?

That’s a feature I believe the wahoo SYSTM folks are working on. At present, it can’t be done as far as I know.

Edit: it ALL counts. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Aaagh wish I had a degree in IT. So many questions after checking the link: why would I download this to my head unit? I’m not using a head unit for indoor workouts as I use my laptop. And how do I get the workout into RGT, email is mentioned, but what am I emailing and where does it go - how do I pick up this email? and how do I add it to one of RGT’s rides/races? I do subscribe to RGT but have not found any kind of library. It sounds good but at the moment completely confused.

Yes, I think I messed up 2 HM’s now but OK in the FF. I’d better figure out how to do a better job at the HM’s or just stick with the FF’s!!! Good idea to check out the forum item tho.

Pretty disappointing to lose access to some of the few shorter duration structured interval workouts that actually have videos (as opposed to NoVid), especially as the iPad app still hasn’t been updated to support multitasking (a basic iOS feature available since version 4 in 2010 — over 12 years ago), which means you can’t load up a separate video to watch during a workout and instead have to stare at a blank screen.

(Yes, there is a “workaround” to use SYSTM on a second device, such as a phone, but the largest font supported by the SYSTM app is still too small to easily see on a phone, and besides entirely defeats the purpose of integrating metrics and video on a single device that most training apps otherwise provide.)

1 Like

Yes you can,

I believe if both Systm and RGT share the same account (and they should) then once you complete the RGT ride it will automatically be populated in your Systm calendar. For all the issues I have had with RGT, that has always worked.

3 Likes

@ikeaingrid The browser extension was built to download workouts to non-Wahoo bike computers but a side benefit is that the file can also be emailed to RGT to create a workout there. Simply email the downloaded file to workouts@rgtcycling.com and then go to RGT and you will find it in the workout section under uploaded workouts.

Edit: see below for a screen shot.

1 Like

Hi @David.McQuillen.KoS and @Rupert.H

A blanket wide platform statement/announcement would have been a softer blow to the users together with the ‘new’ names list of the videos as recently added.

As this decision was likely concluded latest in November already (reason why the note about these videos were ending was added to each video for a month or so), there’s no valid reason to have made it seem an underhand agreement had taken place with yourselves and GCN.

I would think the last thing Wahoo needs are more negative assumptions as to why you conduct your business the way you do. Being upfront and frank about decisions which impact the user halts any tarnishing of an existing reputation.

I trust 2023 is the year of the life boat for Wahoo.

3 Likes

Hey Sir @Rupert.H, will there be Outdoor versions of these GCN No-Vids soon? I wanted to use the browser extension from @jessicat and am unable to download the FIT files atm so I can send them over to RGT.

For outdoor versions yes we will have these available by the end of the week, sorry for the delay.

6 Likes

@Rupert.H @David.McQuillen.KoS

As a side note, the renamed workout needs to be corrected to 2x12 and not 2x20.

Please keep it 12 minutes and not go make another 20 minute Sweet Spot variant. The shorter variant packs a punch in the allotted time frame.

Otherwise means making time for a standard length SS workout. Again.

A second side note, I really enjoyed the Aerobic Endurance, Muscular Endurance and Strength Endurance GCN workouts.

The fact we have lost the video to the GCN workouts suits me fine, as I have rarely watched a video more than twice. Enjoy viewing my choice of distraction for the workouts.

2 Likes