Half Monty cTHR fatigue warning

I completed the Half Monty today and the watts I believe were a very good representation of my current fitness. However my previous cTHR value was 177 and the one during this test was 169 and I received a warning message stating that I entered the test fatigued which could also be correct as I felt a bit tired before the test.

Does this low cTHR value also skew the test because I was not allowed to ride at a higher HR representative of my true cTHR during the steady part of the test? For refference previous FTP value was 223, during this test it was 214 but again this feels quite accurate.

@Tycho,
Good question!
Completing HM in a fatigued state may or may not not affect your power results, but will definitely skew your CTHR results. If you have a high anaerobic capacity you can get away with some fatigue on the ramp portion and still attain your max MAP capacity, but being fatigued will prevent your HR from increasing as it should, resulting in a lower cTHR value. So it may very well have given you a good representation of your current power capabilities, but your HR zones will not be accurate.

3 Likes

Okay Thanks coach! I’ve scheduled two weeks a little less intense and will do another test afterwards!

1 Like

Can I just jump in here instead of opening a new thread. In the Half Monty info it says that you will see your LTHR results but I see CTHR and not LTHR? are they different and if so why is LTHR not showing? thanks

I think (speculation) that just means Cycling Threshold Heart Rate. I suspect they have a rTHR for runners in their plans. Back when they only had cycling workouts, Lactate Threshold Heart Rate would have been sufficient. But with more sports, they probably felt a need to distinguish. (Note that THR varies by sport.)

1 Like

You are right, and you can learn all about it in the article titled, ‘Learn about cTHR

1 Like

I thought that I would continue this somewhat older thread rather than start something new on the same topic.

I did HM today and also got a warning that I may have been doing the test in a fatigued state as cTHR was 9 bpm lower than that obtained in the previous 4DP test (done back in February). The FTP and MAP results were about what I would expect; subjectively, I didn’t feel fatigued. Although the 4DP test usually gives me a Pursuiter rider type, in the most recent test I a classed as a Sprinter.

The context of the HM test is that I have just finished the recovery week of a 4-week threshold block. Final workout was the 94-minute zone 2 ride “De Stig”, which I followed, on consecutive days, with Primers and then HM. I thought that since the recovery week was very gentle that I could go directly to Primers and then HM without taking a rest day after doing De Stig. Perhaps this was incorrect?

What I’m wondering is whether it makes a material difference to subsequent training to leave this value as is or if I should edit it to the previous value, which is closer to typical the cTHR values that have been determined in earlier 4DP and HM tests.