Help with picking training plan

Hi all,
Newer to formal training plans and have been on Sufferfest since last September.

I completed a 100mi gravel plan this winter for a 75mi 6000ft gravel event and felt undertrained for the climbing, but was fine endurance-wise for a sloppy wet and cold gravel event in April.

Now I’m signed up for a 100k with 7500ft of climbing (Cabot Ride the Ridges) in 12 weeks and am waffling between mountainous 100k fondo plan (supplemented with longer outside endurance/climbing rides) and the 100mi gravel plan (supplemented with more climbing). Longest climb is 1100ft over 6 miles (3.7% avg) but it starts with a 1000ft climb over 3mi (6% avg).

Wondering if anyone has thoughts on which is more appropriate? Thanks!
~Luke

1 Like

Hi Luke and welcome!

You can’t go wrong with the mountainous Fondo plan and lengthening your endurance rides.

For reference: I’ve done the mountainous Fondo without any additional work to train for Liege Bastogne Liege, a 255km & 4500m climbing. Went pretty well, I must say.

2 Likes

Why do you think you were undertrained for the climbing?

1 Like

Specifically, outdoor pacing of climbs over 10 minutes and repeat sustained efforts above ftp

Have you considered the 100 mile MTB plan?

1 Like

Hello @LukeDuncan

For your goal event you’ve signed up for, I suggest you choose the Mountain Fondo- High Volume with Strength and Yoga. If you have not performed a Half Monty or a 4DP Test in the last 3 weeks, I recommend you complete one so your zones are dialed in before you begin your Plan! There can be a significant difference between your indoor and outdoor power so ideally you would replicate the test outdoors.

The 100 mile MTB plan @ErickT recommended is also a great option with a little less volume, but makes up for it with more intensity!

Happy Training!

2 Likes

@Coach.Simon.B thank you!

1 Like