Mac buffering hell and data drops

been in touch with the minions and getting some help, but the experience seems to be getting worse vs better. I’ve got a Mac and have been downloading my videos, turning off wifi and still getting horrendous buffering on videos - the last one not only buffering immensley, but also experiencing data drops during the buffering as well. I’ve sent logs back today and was hoping that the smart folks here might be able to help…

Are you using BT or ANT dongle or both?

Turned off BT on my Mac and only using an ant+ dongle.

| ErickT
June 12 |

• | - |

Are you using BT or ANT dongle or both?

Have you tried different combinations of BT or ANT with each device?

What model Mac is it? Any problems with your hard disk etc. Is the disk nearly full? How much RAM do you have? Are you running any other apps in the background? Any other video playback issues eg YouTube or other downloaded hi-res video content?

FWIW I run SUF on a fairly old iMac (2013) with no buffering issues. I use the built-in BT for data. I usually download videos to avoid any risk of buffering, but they are usually okay even when I forget - might get the odd buffer if my WiFi is running slow.

I have an ant+ fob I use. I’ve been told to download the videos, turn off wifi which I’ve done and the buffering was even worse. I usually only ride indoors T-Th/F.

here’s the mac specs- macOS High Sierra (version 10.13.6)MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011)2.8 GHz Intel Core i78GM 1333 MHz DDR3Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MG

Ant+dongle, blue tooth is off on the mac. I’ve been told to download and turn off wifi and that hasn’t helped the buffering at all. Which is weird as you’d think the buffering would only be from streaming, not playing locally.

working on that and troubleshoothing these combos

Does it have any issues with video playback from any other source apart from SUF? If it’s buffering on downloaded files then that would suggest a problem with the disk or RAM. It’s a pretty old machine, so the HDD could be very fragmented and might not be functioning very efficiently. Have you tried connecting with BT to rule out the dongle causing problems?

I’ll play around with the dongle/BT as suggested and see if that resolves anything. I can stream my verizon app without any issue which might not be a fair comparison, but that works without any issue.

I remember this, there was some issue with the stutter/buffering of videos on the Mac with a Sufferfest App update and some combination of MacOS and Sufferfest. The workaround was to revert back to the previous version of the app and I’m going to say it was fixed with a MacOS update. I know you are stuck there on this generation of laptop but if you are not getting anywhere, then I would try bootcamp to windows and run the windows version of sufferfest (or try out parallels/windows, fusion/windows on your laptop just to see.

I had a second issue as well, we were evaluating some anti-malware software and I was seeing the macos spinning disk randomly at times on my MacBook. It was more noticeable in the sufferfest because the videos would pause. In that case it was not enough to just disable the anti-malware, it was using kernel extensions and removing those fixed the problem that time - just another thing to check for.

Will check that as well. Thank you

| melibokus
June 16 |

• | - |

I had a second issue as well, we were evaluating some anti-malware software and I was seeing the macos spinning disk randomly at times on my MacBook. It was more noticeable in the sufferfest because the videos would pause. In that case it was not enough to just disable the anti-malware, it was using kernel extensions and removing those fixed the problem that time - just another thing to check for.