Outdoor workouts, wahoooo!

From what I can see, it’s a Wahoo-specific feature. I’m working to convert https://systm.jesikat.nz/ into a browser extension, so you don’t need to send username/password. This works on my Garmin just fine, although that currently grabs the indoors version, not the new modified outdoors one atm.

4 Likes

Just tested it with my Bolt - really slick :clap:
Can’t see myself using it too much, but good to have the option.

2 Likes

@jamespion I believe the plan is to add options for other brands in the future. They want to be an open platform. The Wahoo stuff came first perhaps because it was easier to code since it is their own products.

#skillzidonthave :joy:

Part of the question, though, is how do you pass the workouts to other systems?

This mechanism is an integration of SYSTM and the Wahoo companion app, where they own both.
It isn’t really incumbent upon them, then, to integrate this to other head unit manufacturers, those manufacturers would have to implement it and simply ask Wahoo for access to sync to the SYSTM calendar, I would have thought.

The majority of work that needs to be done is at the head-unit end and that is something they can’t easily do.

It depends on the integration and the platform. Some pull workouts in (thus head unit company has to do the work), others you may be able to push workouts in (thus Wahoo has to do the work).

If they allow export then that gets you pretty far, because you can import it into TrainerDay, push to TrainerRoad, and get it a ton of places.

1 Like

Really hope we see this come to Garmin head units…

1 Like

@Jon Definitely a good question and I don’t have the answer but I was thinking that it would work in a similar way to TrainingPeaks where the workout is on your calendar and there is some sort of device connection that facilitates the transfer and then update the SYSTM calendar when it is done.

Found an older post referencing a DC Rainmaker article that talked about their intent to be an open platform but it doesn’t really elaborate on how it will be done but does say that there will be limited functionality.

I only have Wahoo bike computers (a Bolt v1 and Roam v1). The outdoor workouts appear either when I turn on the computer or sometimes I have to force a sync but overall the implementation seems solid.

1 Like

I’m not convinced this will happen, for one specific reason. IP.

While they push workouts to a Wahoo head unit that is associated with a phone that is also logged into a Wahoo account then they have “control” of the training data.

SYSTM and RGT are both components of their business.
I know there are workarounds that can pull SYSTM training data into TrainingPeaks, but that isn’t sanctioned by Wahoo and if it caused a big dent in their business it would be easy enough to stamp on.
If they choose to implement a mechanism that pushes their training plans into a third-party system simply to allow other devices to sync it, then what is to stop someone signing up to a trial account for SYSTM, pushing all of the videos/training session data into that external system in one go and then just using it independently of a SYSTM subscription? They could even push those plans into Zwift.
They wouldn’t get new videos (though it wouldn’t be hard to sign up a new email address for a trial) or updates to current ones (see previous) and they wouldn’t get the benefit of 4DP, but Wahoo would be opening themselves up to very little legal recourse to people just taking their IP for free.

No. The only way I can see this happening is in conjunction with Garmin and Hammerhead creating a sync mechanism directly and I suspect that only happens if those platform holders lead the conversation (though I don’t know just how loud the clamour for outdoor sessions is and whether Wahoo would see that feature being a selling point for their head-units or putting it onto other manufacturers a sales leader for SYSTM subscriptions).

1 Like

I agree. It depends ultimately on where they believe their value is. If it is in the training plans and workouts, then letting that easily escape the system is problematic.

I think that mechanism is an absolute no-go because it removes a selling point for their head units AND gives up their training plans and attachment to RGT, it’s a straight lose-lose-lose for them, I simply don’t see the upside. Yeah, it would benefit a few current subscribers, but I would suspect there would be lots more IP “theft” than there would be current Garmin/Hammerhead owners who are also SYSTM subscribers and truly desperate for this feature.

This might be the feature that I break down and get a power meter.

4 Likes

Just Do It™. :smiley:

They have publicly stated that they plan to support exporting workouts to third-party head units.

I think the IP argument is not really relevant. Openness and standards are better for everyone. We can look at BTLE and ANT+ as prime examples.

For me the value in SYSTM is the licensed UCI footage, story line and SUFF ethos. These keep me going when my body wants to quit. While I could recreate the intervals in TP, it’s not worth the effort and misses so much of what make SYSTM unique.

Also, when I started using Sufferfest, we bought videos, loaded them into Trainer Road and had interval targets that were provided on TR but created by The Sufferfest. The value was in the video, still is.

And there’s everything else in the Wahoo ecosystem. My take is that when you make great products, hardware or software, the majority will gladly pay for it. Thieves never will, but thankfully they aren’t in the majority.

2 Likes

Great to have this but still waiting on a calendar and training plans more user friendly alowing personalization of number of days and amount of time for each day.

I was just planting seeds with the Boss and CFO about “needing” power pedals. This motivates me to water and tend to those seeds. SYSTM has helped me grow!

3 Likes

I am ok doing short no vids but with the longer endurance steady state stuff I tend to try to find option similar workouts with some sort of on a screen distractions. I have just started doing a few RGT rides as I have never used it before or Zwift. Done two out of the four Australian women’s Santos rides( the full 3 hour + ones on magic roads) pretty hard! ok but the magic road imagery is a bit bland in my opinion, just a road and everything else is blank!

1 Like

When you say blank, do you mean just a road with a blue background? If so, it’s because you’re running it on a device without much RAM:

If your Magic Road has no scenery, this is because the device you have RGT Screen installed on has less than 2.5GB of RAM, and the scenery has been removed to increase stability.

See here:
https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/4855667100434-Magic-Roads

Most devices generate generic scenery in Magic Roads (there are a couple of scenery skins to choose from at the moment), like this:

1 Like

I logged into SYSTM and saw that cycling workouts can now be selected as Indoor or Outdoor. I put one in outdoor on my calendar for today, pulled down to refresh the “Planned Workouts” in ELEMNT and … nothing. Both: SYSTM and ELEMNT use the same e-mail. It is possible, that the problem is because my subscription of SYSTEM pass? Should I have active subscription on waahoo SYSTM?

1 Like

I logged into SYSTM and saw that cycling workouts can now be selected as Indoor or Outdoor. I put one in outdoor on my calendar for today, pulled down to refresh the “Planned Workouts” in ELEMNT and … nothing. Both: SYSTM and ELEMNT use the same e-mail. It is possible, that the problem is because my subscription of SYSTEM pass? Should I have active subscription on waahoo SYSTM?