Outdoor workouts, wahoooo!

I’d imagine that yes, you need a active SYSTM subscription to access the workouts for outdoors, same as indoors.

thanks

Thanks, that explains it. I just use my android phone which has no-where near that I think

cheers

Paul

1 Like

@oggie41 Thanks - unfortunately the system requirements link on the page you referenced was broken so I am posting an alternative here:

1 Like

This looks like a great implementation! I tend to become much less structured in the outdoor riding season and this might just be the remedy to keep training plans all year round, especially during transition seasons.

If the same feature was made to push structured running and swimming workouts directly to Rival watch it may very well convince me to get one!

Good things come to those who wait :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Structured running onto Rival and I would be in

4 Likes

Hey TTDragon, just checking in to see if were you able to get your issue resolved.

1 Like

domenico, you should see any free SYSTM workouts that you’ve planned on your bike computer. We had a little glitch with those at launch, but it has been resolved. As a “freemium” subscriber you can see a filter for all free workouts in the Library. That’ll make it easy for you to schedule one and give it a spin on your bike computer.

And to your question about should you have a Wahoo X subscription? Of course you should :wink:.

1 Like

As a non-Wahoo employee I also echo that you should. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s rather good value in particular if you like the more low keyness of RGT.

2 Likes

Thank you. Yes it’s all sorted out now thank you. Deleting the app and reinstalling solved the issue. It’s an excellent new feature!

Now we just need ERG mode outdoors. This might help.

7 Likes

I rode Open 30 on my Bolt this morning. At first I thought I was stuck in Erg mode and smack dab in the middle of the power range as you described. However, after playing with it I found that you can swap between erg and level mode and also adjust the intensity %. But you need to search for it. On one page there is a PLAN button which takes you to a page where you can adjust the intensity up or down. Also, you can also use the MODE button to switch between modes and move it to passive mode so your head unit is reading your smart trainer power, but not controlling it. Or you can choose level mode and choose the resistance level. You just need to play around with all the pages to find what works the best.

1 Like

I did an experiment but never ended up reporting back. Slacker! :innocent:

Unfortunately, intensity scaling is not linear across different power zones so adjusting intensity does not translate equally across different power zones.

Adjusting intensity to 125 brings you to the top of zone 1, 40%->50% FTP, so the 125 setting works perfectly for recovery zone 1 rides, as all recovery rides want you at but not above 50% FTP. Yay!

This same 125 setting takes you to 131% FTP in zone 5 (102-108% FTP), so definitely not a linear relationship.

I crunched some numbers, trying to work what intensity setting is required for each zone to bring the power to the upper limit of the zone from that mid range.

Zone 1 30-50%FTP 125%
Zone 2 51-75%FTP 119%
Zone 3 76-91%FTP 109%
Zone 4 92-101%FTP 105%
Zone 5 102-108%FTP 103%

In conclusion, zone 1 and 2 rides you can get away with 120% intensity setting. Anything with higher zones I’d stick with 105% intensity and then have slightly easier recoveries as a result.

Those easy mindless rides is about the only time I can see myself doing the indoor sessions in ‘outside’ mode, as anything more substantial requires concentration and big screen visuals. :joy:

2 Likes

So searched the forum and the SYSTM help site, no luck…

I don’t have either Bolt or Roam anymore (can barely see the screen anymore while riding!), so I use the ELEMNT app itself on my iphone for outdoor rides, and also have the Rival. I know this functionality isn’t designed (yet?) for the Rival, but I’m wondering if this is supposed to work with just the app instead of a head unit?

Both my SYSTM and ELEMNT apps are current, and my workouts sync between the two in history on the app, but when I go to Workout >> Pick a Planned Workout >> in the app all I see are the 7-8 old stock workouts stored in the app, and under “Schedule” the app says “no workouts scheduled. Sync workouts from Training Peaks or Today’s Plan”, same as always.

Am I missing something, or is JUST the ELEMNT app not sufficient for the SYSTM outdoor workouts? Do you HAVE to use the head unit? In other words, is it the head unit syncing w SYSTM, or is it the ELEMNT app?

If this isn’t currently possible, can we add functionality down the road to view outdoor SYSTM workouts in the ELEMNT app?

1 Like

(FWIW, I’m guessing that the app depends on the device it’s paired with, so the functionality is driven by the device, not the app).

2 Likes

This sounds like it’s to be expected since it’s a percentage rather than adding a flat number of watts. So the higher number you start with the bigger jump you get with each percent.

1 Like

Good question. Before I got my smart trainer, I would record my indoor and outdoor rides with the Wahoo app using just cadence and speed sensors (and gps for outdoors, of course). I still don’t have an outdoor power meter, but now I do have a Bolt2, but am still interested if the outdoor rides would work with just the app.

1 Like

Same. Cadence/Speed/HR outdoors. Many more needs for the bike ahead of a PM (or a new Bolt/Roam, for that matter).

1 Like

Right on. I didn’t get a bike computer for a long time because the app on my phone did everything I needed. Riding outside without a PM using just cadence, speed, HE, and RPE doesn’t require a bike computer. It would be nice to know officially if this works right now the outdoor workouts, or not. Hopefully, if it’s not currently supported it will be supported in the future.

1 Like

Thanks for the Information @jean.harrison I was wondering why it didn’t work on my ELEMNT on Wednesday and Thursday. I’m currently on freemium after my second bout of COVID but will subscribe again if I can resume fully!

I just tested it again and now the workout shows up on my ELEMNT as it is supposed to!
Only thing in German the writing is not fully correct. It displays two unnecessary “$” characters at “INTERVALL$EINHEIT” and “Restliche$EINHEIT”. Maybe someone can pass this along to the ELEMNT Translation guys.

I’m also missing a “Target RPM” Field. Does something like that exist or is planned?
Do you have something like “unclip your left foot” “clip back in” and “unclip your right foot” for single leg drills? There are some workouts (Cadence Drills) which contain these. They also seem to be in the outside ride version.

It would be totally awesome if you could play the SYSTM soundtrack of the corresponding workout from my smartphone synced to the outside ride. Plus audio input from the on display text. This would also solve the single leg drills support. Make “Elements of style” outside possible, help with “The Bat”, “Tapers” and multiple other workouts. I hope something is in the works. Definite feature request!

Furthermore I don’t understand the outside ride calendar integration. I manually added an easy workout “Kayabike”, rode it outside and dragged the workout on my ride in the calendar as described in the help article.
But it only displays “Workout linked” or something like that and the workout changes color from grey to green. I can click “unlink” if I want to but that’s it. In retrospect I can’t find out what workout it is linked to or how well I fulfilled the power targets or whatever… Is there something in the works to improve on that? Currently there is zero added information for outside workouts.

Despite some room for improvement to make this feature even greater, thanks a lot for bringing the outside workout integration to my ELEMNT. I’m going to put it through it’s paces over the winter :partying_face: !
I enjoy SYSTM getting better and better over time!!!