ProRide Tour 2022

I hinted somewhere on another thread that I was thinking about one more Stoopid Arbitrary Goal for 2022. I was intending on posting an announcement a few weeks ago, but work got super stressful and was seriously thinking of just parking it as simply a stupid idea.

Just had an enforced 3 day training break due to work travel and figured I’d see how I felt today and if feeling good I’d get after it. It’ll probably do me good to have some tough training to focus on and if not I can always dial down the intensity or insert a rest day - benefits of a totally arbitrary goal I guess :grinning: Order is chosen purely on available training time on given days with some attempt to not have too many brutal rides back to back.

Looking forward to seeing how I get on with this. I reserve the right to change the ride orders if needed due to available time and / or fatigue.

The plan: ride all ProRides as a 14 day stage race.

The route:
26/11/22 Day 1 Tour of Norway 1 + Giro d’Italia 1 (2 hr 6 min)
27/11/22 Day 2 Hammer Chase 1 (1 hr 10 min)
28/11/22 Day 3 Ride London 1 (1 hr 14 min)
29/11/22 Day 4 Giro d’Italia Donne 1 (2 hr 10 min)
30/11/22 Day 5 Hammer Climb 1 (2 hr 10 min)
1/12/22 Day 6 Strade Bianchi 1 (1 hr 49 min)
2/12/22 Day 7 Mt. Ventoux Dénivéle Challenge 1 (2 hr 13 min)
3/12/22 Day 8 Tour Down Under 2 (1 hr 29 min)
4/12/22 Day 9 Tour of Norway 2 (1 hr)
5/12/22 Day 10 UAE Tour 1 (1 hr 3 min)
6/12/22 Day 11 Tour Down Under 3 (2 hr 6 min)
7/12/22 Day 12 Tour Down Under 1 (1 hr 43 min)
8/12/22 Day 13 Tour Down Under 4 + UAE Tour 2 (1 hr 30 min)
9/12/22 Day 14 Tour de Suisse 1 (1 hr 38 min)

Day 1 is done and remembered a few minutes into the time trial of Giro d’Italia 1 why I’ve only one this ride once, a touch over a year ago!

To set the tone, I rode ISLAGIATT on Tuesday before the 3 day break.

Really should have done this before Mt Ventoux was released…

19 Likes

Awesome(ly stupid)! Love it! Looking forward to following your progress.

:+1:t3:

3 Likes

Go get it Sir Phil! I’m still on fairly strict diet of detraining and donuts as I continue to bulk up for the long winter.

5 Likes

This looks like something I like to try but I just started my ToS 2013 yesterday. But I will file this away for future reference, after I finish all the past ToS events.

Good luck!

4 Likes

Thanks for all the encouragement :grinning:

Day 2 Hammer Chase is done. Felt like a really bad idea about half way through the warm up but soon settled done. Going to be interesting to see how this feels as the days progress.

Love the sound of your detraining plan @Glen.Coutts definitely something I need to get better at.

4 Likes

There’s a free plan on Detraining Peaks here. I should warn you, it’s a lot easier than it looks.

7 Likes

Brutal

1 Like

Ugh that looks awful. Will have to build up (or is it down?) to that plan. Maybe next year…

2 Likes

It’s no joke! I’ve done it a few times and every damn time it gets easier and easier. I’m up to nearly 95 kg atm so should have plenty of storage for the winter ahead.

3 Likes

Ventoux’s ProRide should feel relatively easy, after you have conquered Hammer Climb. I rode them both earlier this month (part of four Pro Rides in 8 days) and found the first hour of Hammer Climb to be more draining than Ventoux’s 20 minute threshold finish. I suggest higher than normal cadence for Hammer Climb during the surges of that first hour. You don’t want to burn out your legs early, with so much fun planned for the remaining days!

Have a great Tour!

7 Likes

Brilliant!

Go get at it! Can’t wait to hear how it goes day by day.

:muscle: :crossed_swords:

2 Likes

Totally agree, Hammer Climb is the most brutal of the pro rides so far. Good advice on the high cadence, will try and remember on Wednesday morning.

2 Likes

@ediblehedge I did okay with Hammer Climb. Hammer Chase was much more difficult for me but it could have been an off day.

3 Likes

OMG AWESOME!

6 Likes

This is excellent. Godspeed.

4 Likes

Agreed! It’s exactly the kind of hairbrain idea I would come up with, before quitting before I even start. Get at it!

6 Likes

Man, @Glen.Coutts , you always kill me w these. This year’s Tour of Couchlandria was epic(ly dull)!

:joy:

4 Likes

Day 3 Ride London 1 done. Was nice to have some longer gentler bits today after the last 2 stages - felt easier and helps ease me into the next few stages.

Trying to plan some recovery time and get a few saunas in during the rest of the tour

4 Likes

Nice work Sir!

2 Likes

How are the legs? Dead yet?

2 Likes