ProRide Tour 2022

I’m not 100% sure why you chose the order you did in the first place tbh. You said it was based mostly on available time to ride so, now you have a free 15 mins on Day 12. Maybe get a post-ride massage that day?

2 Likes

…or a drink.

2 Likes

Pretty much how the line up was chosen - time available around work and family commitments, ride style and intensity.

Wanted to make sure I didn’t put too many tough rides on subsequent days.

Beyond that it was a little bit random and put together in some haste.

Pretty sure that’s not how it’s meant to be done :joy:

1 Like

Post ride massage or a drink sound like excellent ideas.

In reality this will mean collapsing on the floor, getting walked over by two cats until their needs are met and the drink will be coffee

5 Likes

:joy: :joy:

1 Like

Today was the hardest to get started - ate loads yesterday, bed was warm and world was cold at 4 C. I guess winter has arrived.

But it’s colder in Norway, and it’s only an hour so got my ass up and out into the pain cave.

Stage 9 Tour of Norway 2 is done. Nailed the final sprint too.

But there’s still 5 days of this madness left :anguished:

At least it’ll be warmer in UAE tomorrow :hot_face:

6 Likes

Nice! Is Tour of Norway 2 the former “Norway”? (I know, I know, I could just ride it to find out :smiling_imp: but…)

2 Likes

Best ride Norway 1 first to eliminate that option and ride Norway 2 just to make sure :wink:

2 Likes

Good call Sir Phil! Goooood caaaalll!

2 Likes

The very final sprint in Norway 2 was longer than I expected … it set a heart rate record for me with longest time at max heart rate. Just when I thought the sprint was done, there was another final surge for a few seconds. One of the best final sprint sequences in my opinion.

3 Likes

Totally agree. Definitely a ride to repeat more often - brilliant stuff

1 Like

Not to derail this thread but is there a post where old ToS schedules are listed? I did a search but didn’t find anything.

2 Likes

This sounds awful. I’m in!

2 Likes

@jasonmayo I have a list for all the ToS years. I have embarked on a plan to do all the past tours. Here is a link to the 2013 tour discussion. Finishing that up and will be planning a date for 2014 early in the new year depending on when the 2023 ToS dates are. I will post the ToS ride schedule for years 2013-2021 there.

https://wahoox.forum.wahoofitness.com/t/tos-2013-on-my-calendar-care-to-join

2 Likes

SCOUTING REPORT

Sir Phil @ediblehedge, they just finished setting up the course for your Tuesday stage on the Tour Down Under 3. I got up early to sneak onto the course to check it out.

The first sprint comes right around the 12 minute mark, where you need to break away from the peloton and beat them to the arch for the intermediate sprint GC points. I wasn’t happy with my [first] attack. It starts with a red NM zone for a bit, and I entered with a decent cadence (120s) before standing (unconsciously stood) along with a natural cadence drop to around 100, only to then enter the next, higher red NM zone while still at 100 cadence. That was not enough for the ridiculously high NM target. [How high? The graph does not lie!] My cadence dropped over the next several seconds from the 100s down into the 40s. While I never stalled, I did start to miss the power targets for a short time. I was able to pull through and carry on.

I knew after that performance, the flogging station was in my future, though I came up with an idea while recovering with the peloton mid-ride. If before reporting to the flogging station, I rode that section of the course again while remaining seated until my cadence dropped to 80, that GvA might take it easy on me, despite knowing there is no record yet of GvA’s compassion.

As the ride came to the end, I was emboldened by the finishing sprints. The AC targets seemed to be no match for my seated strategy, with plenty of leg speed to spare. I stood for the finish - mainly to lean in for the finish line.

Round 2 - I queued up the ride immediately afterwards, and fast forward to the 12 minute mark. I hit the NM sections around 130 rpm, focused only on trying to keep my legs spinning. I don’t know how far into the second zone I got, or if I made it past it. I do know that this second time, my legs just quit. 0 cadence and no ability to turn. Perhaps it was the too short 3 minute cool down from TDU3, or the fatigue from Norway 2 yesterday. Regardless, I now have two failed sprints for which to atone rather than one failed sprint. At least I only have five more pro tours to check off before Christmas.

As for Tuesday, you are going to have to nail the break away sprint to break away from the peloton and claim the GC sprint points … only don’t expect anyone to help you. After you break away, it is only X minutes to the arch, and you can do anything for X minutes.

Good luck! As for me, I am off to start my double tour at the flogging station.

3 Likes

You can fail 62 more sprints and atone for them all in one go with Violator :slight_smile:

Edit: Sorry, I should have said: You can fail 62 more sprints and atone for them all in one go with Violator Sir :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll probably join this insanity next year as the colder weather in Oz starts kicking back in. Yes i’m following your thread with interest :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks for scouting the route ahead of Tuesday Sir @robyork - much appreciated.

Am rather blown away by your ability to remember the detail of any ride, let alone one that pushes you hard. All my energy goes into breathing, form and getting through it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Day 10 UAE Tour 1 is done :mountain_snow:

I must get better at keeping notes about the various rides as I’d only done this one twice and last time in Jan 22. I remembered it as being a bit dull, foggy and no views. In reality the lack of views is obscured by the peloton and the climb is just awesome. Really loved this ride. Still hammering away at 100% and felt awesome this morning.

Which was just as well as I got a race update from GvA over night with a new plan - win the tour! Since this is impossible against the calibre I’m up against, the only option is to come in a day ahead of the GC. This meant a change to the route map:

5/12/22 Day 10 UAE Tour 1 + Tour Down Under 4 (2hr 0 min)
6/12/22 Day 11 Tour Down Under 3 (2 hr 6 min)
7/12/22 Day 12 Tour Down Under 2 + UAE Tour (2hr 2 min)
8/12/22 Day 13 Tour de Suisse (1hr 38 min)

Tour Down Under 4 was also done this morning also at 100%. Being a crit after a mountain stage was a completely different beast and just as much fun. Nailed all the sprints even the bonkers one in lap 18. Love it.

I’ve now only got 3 days left to go, which is less than 4 days left that I would have had. Which I believe makes it easier?!

Change in schedule is due to a short notice commitment on Friday which will remove any riding time. I could have inserted a rest day, but that’s not very Sufferlandrian is it? Better to burn out than fade away…

4 Likes

Wow! Keep it up! For the glory of our great nation!

2 Likes