Reduced intensity workouts or easier sessions

Have just completed a 12 week plan, with great results, and am now having a few weeks free styling workouts as have less structured time available.
When I am after an easier workout is it best to reduce the intensity of a workout (like the 12 week plan often does) or simply pick a workout with lower IF/TSS?
I never really liked doing sessions with the intensity reduced as I didn’t like the disconnect between the effort and the video, but I presume there was good reason the plan did this rather than just choose easier workouts?

3 Likes

Nice @Ricardo congrats on improvements and incremental gains!!
If you are free styling and taking some time away from structure … my reco is enjoy the freedom and do not get too worried about reduced intensity.

You do not have to “squeeze the lemon” every session and reduced intensity or a mix will keep your engine ticking over.

Another suggestion. Have a look at some of the NoVid workouts, some really nice sessions and gives you the option of minimising display and watching netflix, cycling racing etc.

2 Likes

You can also do one of the “Open” videos in level mode and just freestyle. Then you still get a video to watch, but you can do whatever you want.

1 Like

Hey, well done on completing the plan and seeing some gains!
For reduced intensities it depends how you are feeling and how long you have, use the base training and lower scored videos (another option if you are at a loose end for a few weeks is to do the base training building blocks).
If you are freestyling, I would recommend picking videos which suit you depending how you are feeling going into it on each ride. Start at 100% and if required you can reduce the intensity of the workout to make it through to the finish.

1 Like

Just following up on this last statement Coach. Is it better to completed a prescribed workout, even at a reduced intensity rather than stop a session mid way at the preset intensity?

1 Like

Hey Charlie, that is a great question and the answer depends a lot on the workout! If the sessions has a NM or AC focus, I would say do as much as you can at full intensity and then when you can do no more call it a day as the goal of these sessions is to work your muscles to the highest intensity possible.
For FTP based sessions and MAP, if you are struggling, pause and lower the intensity by 10% or so depending what you think you can maintain to the finish.

3 Likes

Great news. I can now do Nine Hammers at 90% after the ‘warm up’
That might get me through it !!

2 Likes

Thank you sooo much. I was suspecting it was a “It Depends” sort of thing. Your answer gives me just the guidelines I was looking for!

2 Likes