Shuffling a training plan for the week

I work a very physically demanding job (cook) with a very fluid schedule. I’m currently on the 100 mile gravel plan, prepping for Leadville. When I look at my work schedule and training plan for the week I commonly have to move just about every workout to a different day to fit my life.

Looking at next week (week 13 of the plan) I’ve moved the 2 hour Sub-threshold with surges from Saturday to Monday, swapped Sunday’s 3 hour Endurance with Wednesday’s The Way Out. And moved Butter from Thursday to Saturday.

So my question for the coaches/ more knowledgeable here, how important is the order of the week? Am I not getting the full training benefit even though I’m doing all of the work?

1 Like

Not a coach (or necessarily more knowledgeable), but the most important thing to me meetin the overall training load for the week - I’ve often had to shuffle things around due to life getting in the way. There is obv. method to the “what-on-which-day” scheduling, based on cycles of rest and recovery, but in the short term I think your body can handle it.

Hi @chefasnem ! Order is important and each plan is written with the ideal sequence. Your modifications for next week sound reasonable.

I agree with @CPT_A . It is great to be able to meet the training load goal for the week… A bit of shuffling from time to time, when necessary, is fine- and when in doubt post about your intended swap here!

Another possibility you may want to check, is what happens, if you set your end of training plan to a Monday. As I recall it, your longer rides would always be on Mondays then. That may be handy for you as a chef (if Monday is your day off from work). That is just a thought and I have not tested it. But it may at least reduce the amount of rides you have to move around.

Yeah. Somewhere in the knowledge base it says that the start date of training plans defaults to a Mon, which is designed to put the longer harder/workouts on the weekend and puts recovery and lighter workouts at the start of the typical work week, and that you can/should choose a start day that is relevant to your work schedule.