Sim mode workouts?

I’ve been using Suf for a couple of years and love the workouts, the structure, and the basis of intervals. A few months ago I bought a smart trainer which has been great fun in ERG mode, but I’ve been more and more interested in SIM mode as used on other platforms. I can’t get on with Zwift, but tried Rouvy yesterday and the SIM mode route I did, using my gears to adjust for the gradients, was a really nice and engaging change. It also allows me to get full use of my smart trainer’s capabilities. Then finally, it’s also nice to be able to go as hard/soft as you fancy for the chosen course without getting bullied by ERG :laughing:

I wonder if Systm are considering any SIM mode workouts? I guess the principle is very different to the fixed video narratives used currently, but I think it would really help add variety to the library. Those platforms that have SIM rides have plenty of structured workouts based on intervals (nowhere near as good as Suf though), so arguably offer a more comprehensive set of options. The ‘just go for a ride’ approach to SIM mode makes a fun change every now and then, and would allow group ride options as offered elsewhere. Level mode on open workouts isn’t the same.

So feature request - a small volume of high-quality SIM mode workouts please! I appreciate this would be a big effort, but with the Systm development over the last year or more this must have been considered and ruled out, or considered and on the list for development? Would be really interested to know the thoughts on this.

8 Likes

Interested to know the official reply!

1 Like

That is exactly why I have kept my Rouvy subscription.
I can also simulate my Mt. Sufferlandria ride on it.

3 Likes

I’d be down for some of that too!

Could be interesting to combine it with a fitness test? Series of climbs of different lengths to test fitness levels?

Basically, what you’re asking is for Wahoo to buy Rouvy and incorporate that into SYSTM?

I’ve done a trial period of Rouvy and can see why people like it. It’s not really for me - if I just want to ride, I’ll go outside or pick an Inspiration ride on SYSTM. I wouldn’t pay extra to have it in SYSTM.

2 Likes

I wasn’t advocating for Wahoo to acquire Rouvy, but tbh that probably could make a lot of sense. The virtual rides would slot neatly into the way Systm is structured.

My main point is, the platform is missing SIM rides and that might be more significant as time goes on. The ‘just go and rise outside’ statement could be applied to any type of indoor workouts, but it’s an interesting and engaging type of challenge to beat your time over a prescribed course in SIM mode and appeals to me.

Add in to the mix the speculation around zwift and TR, and that combination would be a monster of a competitor to Systm (and everyone else). Either through self generating content, or acquisition, SIM mode rides added to the catalogue would be a great move for us as users.

4 Likes

Would be even better if they acquired RGT, to strengthen the service before Zwift buys TrainerRoad or when those two start cooperating closely…

2 Likes

You are probably right - from a commercial point of view it’s a market that hasn’t been tapped into by Wahoo.

1 Like

The closest Wahoo has at the moment is the On Location category. I really like hearing about the history of the region that I’m riding through. With my Kickr climb, I find them really immersive.

I also will occasionally use FulGaz to ride up Alpe d’Huez or similar. But those get really boring for lack of commentary, music or even variety. Just a grinding slog up a mountain.

I think sim mode coupled with on location might be really nice, but not sure how they could do it. I’d be riding in slow motion up the Pyrenees so Sir Mike Cotty’s voice and any soundtrack would sloooowww waaayyy doowwwnnn.

4 Likes

I’ve only done a couple of Rouvy rides, and certainly missed the music (easily rectified though!). The rides I chose were rolling efforts and not just some big climb, for exactly the reasons you say; it’d just be a slow boring grind! The routes I did worked so well with changing gradients, some sharp climbs, sprinting over the top as the gradient eased and spinning out on the descent. I was really impressed with the feel through the trainer. I pushed hard like I can’t resist doing when riding outside and found it really satisfying!

1 Like

Now you’ve got me thinking about OL in sim mode. The power profile could change to elevation, or be selectable.

Voice overs could play at normal speed at specific frame markers, so the riders pace would not affect voice quality or duration.

I’d be really interested in that!

3 Likes

I understand what you are saying, but not everybody can ride outside all year round. Some people might want to ride places they will never visit. I can also use it to test out various riding strategies on courses that I have ridden.

As you say it all depends on your goals and interests, but it is not just a substitute for riding outside.

4 Likes

What is Sim mode? I know about ERG and level but haven’t heard of Sim. I’m probably just not savvy enough on my trainer yet but would like to know.

1 Like

Different apps “simulate” or sim a real world or virtual world. So, apps like Zwift and Rouvy and RGT etc simulate environments that you would ride in Level mode. In those environments, you would need to shift gears to go up a “climb” etc. If you used ERG mode in those environments, your effort might not match the simulated terrain.

Not sure how good a job I’ve done at explaining it.

If it helps, it’s probably inaccurate to call SIM a “mode” cuz you’re right, it’s either ERG or Level mode that you use on your trainer.

This could be fun if they would use something similar to FulGaz steady mode. In steady mode a section such as the climb always takes the same time, and the video keeps playing at the same speed. A 10 min climb would take 10 minutes, regardless if you are doing 200 or 300W.

1 Like

That’s what the Pro Rides are already doing. On Location and A Week With use workout profiles.

1 Like

I was doing sim rides on Computrainers years ago. I would def vote for SYSTM incorporating it too. I only recently signed up for SYSTM as I wanted to try their 4DP plans this winter. I’m liking it so far, but sim rides would be a great addition. I used Zwift for years and although it has it’s good points, I’m not that enamored of riding in their virtual worlds.

true…but…wouldn’t it be cool if we could ride up Ventoux, or Alpe d’Huez or any of the iconic or not so iconic climbs with Sir @michael.cotty using his power profile, adjusted to our 4DP profile? So, like the pro rides only not a race :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In what way would this be different to doing any of the current videos in level mode? I feel like I’m missing something here!

1 Like