Suffering outside (Videos)

:biking_man::biking_man::biking_man::dash: :hot_face::thermometer: 第32回 ツールドひたちなか. 2時間エンデューロ[午後]. オーバー40

Hi everybody,
first things first. I am very sorry, but the second half of the footage was recorded as time-lapse. I kept it anyway. The best part of the race happened in the middle when I had to switch off my GoPro (due to battery issues). So it’s all a bit anticlimactic. But perhaps you can still enjoy the one or the other part of the video.
To make it short. It was a very intense and technical race (which I really like, particularly the many challenging corners). Also, it was very tactical since a couple of teams played their number card. It was very tough but I managed with the help of one more worrier to bring back an early solo breakaway against all attempts of his team mates to block the peloton. That was fun. But I’ve burned too many of my matches in doing so. So, at the final sprint, which was preceded by a short climb I didn’t manage to catch the bunch which blasted away from me on the short climb. 6th place it was then for me.
I could (and I was) disappointed about the placing and the attitude of the other riders which did not help to bring back the breakaway. But hey, that’s racing. They have been simply more clever than me. Happens all the time to me. But someone has to bring back the breakaway, right?
Anyway, it was super fun, the people were nice and I’ve learned that I’ve got quite a bit in the tank.
Next race will be #KawasakiMarineEnduro
Let’s see what happens there :smiley:

Stay safe, stay strong.
Get on your bike and be AWESOME !!!

PLEASE LIKE & SHARE

1 Like

:1st_place_medal: 第22回 川崎マリンエンデューロ - 2023 (22nd Kawasaki Marine Enduro). :sunny::tornado::hot_face: ロード・オーバー40 2時間エンデューロ [午後] :man_biking::shark:

This was my 6th Kawasaki Marine Enduro race and my 5th podium. Not bad at all. Usually it rains during this race. However, this time the temperatures were high and it was sunny. But there was a strong breeze and thus the heat wasn’t as bad as anticipated.

The first two laps were actually the hardest. After that…snooze fest. Only a handful of people were willing to work and the average speed dropped significantly below 40km/h. Basically it was me and 3-4 other guys who were constantly pulling, particularly on the head wind section. But that was fine with me. I really felt strong that day. Diamonds in the legs :star_struck::gem::gem::gem:

A couple of laps before the finish I performed a fake attack to check if the peloton is really just taking it easy or if they are indeed as tired as they pretended to be. Well, they weren’t. They quickly reeled me in. Ok, so now it was clear what to do next. For the next two laps recovery was key. The next step was to be the first in the second last corner and from there a last sprint effort towards the finish line.

The final result: 1st in my age category and 5th overall just behind my team mate. Fantastic result. We were not aware of the solo breakaway by the guy who came first over all. If we would have, I am sure we would have placed even better. Anyway, everything just went perfect. From preparations over fueling to execution. And the next race is already waiting for us.

Please let me know what you think about the video.

See you next time.
Stay safe, stay strong, stay healthy.

PLEASE LIKE & SHARE

#MyPrefrontalRides # 川崎マリンエンデューロ #roadbike

4 Likes

:tornado::hot_face: :thermometer:そでがうらサマーサイクルロードフェスタ - Sodegaura Summer Cycle Road Festa (2023) - おっさんずカップ :man_biking::man_biking::man_biking:

My first ‘Sodegaura’ race in 3 years.
I was feeling strong despite having raced the day before in Tsukuba.
I am happy with my performance. Certainly I am not one of the weaker riders.
However, my tactics suck. Well, it’s not that I want to pull the peloton or try to catch the breakaway. But nobody else is even trying!
And as a result, I spectacularly blow-up with the finish line in sight…
I really have to try harder letting others pull and recover in the meantime.
13th place is not bad, but nevertheless quite disappointed about the outcome.
It could have been much better.
Anyway, the next race is in September. Plenty of time to work on my strategy.
And congrats to those of the breakaway who managed to stay away!!!

See you next time.

PLEASE LIKE & SHARE

#MyPrefrontalRides #そでがうらサマーサイクルロードフェスタ #roadbike

2 Likes

@Sir_Roland Nice work! Yes - it does look like you spent a lot of energy in the middle of the race and could have drafted more but something to work on for the next one.

2 Likes

Did you have the same problem in that race, or did you save something for this race?

1 Like

:man_biking::man_biking::man_biking::dash::dash: 9極の耐9in筑波サーキット race. 99"分"チャレンジ. Tour de Nippon 99min Tsukuba race. :hot_face::thermometer::checkered_flag:

My first Tsukuba race!
20th place out of 200+ participants.
A very enjoyable race. Really tough though.
Again, worked too much and too hard at the front. Really tried to let others to do their fair share of work… but they didn’t. OKT Squalo and a handful of others pulled the whole peloton for 99min. At the end, a big bunch passed me after being 1st for most of the time in the last lap. Luckily I managed to pull back a handful of them and finish 20th which was the goal for today (finishing in the top 20).

Shimazaki-san - 4th place
Bien - 7th place
Rami - 13th place

See you next time.

PLEASE LIKE & SHARE

#MyPrefrontalRides #筑波サーキットレース #roadbike

Same problem (as you can see in the follow-up video.
It was almost worse for I was at the front of the pack for most of the final lap and then didn’t have the power to finish it off and was surpassed by 19 other guys.
The problem is that nobody tries to catch the break. And if I don’t do it, people seem to be happy with minor ranks.
So I go for it but spend all my energy in doing so.
What happens if I am not going to try and catch the break you already saw in the Sodegaura race. The break goes. And nobody tries.
Anyway, back to your other question, no, I didn’t save anything for this race :smiley:

2 Likes

@JSampson Thanks, I really try not to spend all my energy. But it is more difficult for me than I expected. I flick my elbow, stop pedaling and even break but they just keep sitting on my wheel. There is a lot of work to do for me, figuring out how to stay in the back-ground without letting a breakaway go…

2 Likes

@Sir_Roland I race a fair amount and always find things that I would have done differently.

2 Likes

:mountain::biking_woman::monkey:月夜見第1駐車場. 奥多摩周遊道路. Tsukiyomi Parking all the way down to Okutama :sun_behind_small_cloud::thermometer::hot_face:

This was an absolutely brutal climb…again.
Also, the first time of 2023 and it was hot !!!
So, the descent was a huge enjoyment. Even saw two Japanese macaques :monkey::monkey:

Tokyo’s government did a fantastic job with those streets. Very grippy and without potholes. A pleasure to ride (particularly down-hill).

Let me know in the comments section what you think and give it thumbs up.

If not, please let me know as well and why.

See you next time.
Stay safe, stay strong.

PLEASE LIKE & SHARE
#MyPrefrontalRides #奥多摩周遊道路 #roadbike

2 Likes

:tokyo_tower: :arrow_right: :japanese_castle: 東京から仙台まで22時間 (From Tokyo to Sendai in 22 hours) :man_biking::man_biking::man_biking:

This time I decided to cycle from Tokyo to Sendai for the Japanese Neuroscience Society meeting :brain:
I decided to stay away from the big roads as much as possible but to keep it as straight forward as possible as well without too many detours (this I kept fot the way back, stay tuned).

In the end it took me almost 22h (moving time under 15h) for 363km burning 7300 calories :hamburger:
I had a punctre which I mangaged to fix using a plugg but it only lasted a few hours and eventually I had to put in a tube.

Overall a very enjoyable ride with plenty of tail wind :wind_face:

PLEASE LIKE & SHARE
#MyPrefrontalRides #仙台 #roadbike

1 Like

:mountain_biking_man:Koburi/Koufuri Pass (顔振峠) adventure. Stunningly beautiful forest climb w/amazing view at the top :national_park:

A truly wonderful climb through the forrest along a lovely stream.
Absolutely amazing. I hope the video catches at least some aspects of this enchanting atmosphere. This ride was at the end of a hard sprint workout near Ota city, Tokyo, at the end of which I thought I’ll have some soba in the mountains. Unfortunately, the shop (平九郎茶屋) just served the last order when I arrived at around 3pm. Well, maybe next time. I have to go again!!!

I hope this one will get you off the couch and out on your bike. Enjoy!

See you next time.
Stay safe, stay strong.

PLEASE LIKE & SHARE
#MyPrefrontalRides #顔振峠 #roadbike

MY BIKE:
CANYON Aeroad CF SLX Disc 9.0 Di2

• Frame: #Canyon #Aeroad CF SLX
• Fork: Canyon Aeroblade SLX
• Stem and handlebar: Canyon H11 Aerocockpit CF (120mm stem, instead of 90mm)
• Brakes: #Shimano Dura-Ace hydraulic disc brake R9170 (160mm front/140mm rear)
• Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 FD-9150
• Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 RD-9150
• Brake/Shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 Dual Control ST-9170
• Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace CS-9000, 11-25T
• Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CN-9000
• Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace FC-9000 (170mm), 54/39T
• Bottom bracket: Shimano press-fit
• Pedals: Shimano Dura Ace R9100 Series PD – R9100
• Wheelset: Prime BlackEdition 60 Carbon Disc Front Wheel and 85 Carbon Disc Rear Wheel
• Tires: #ContinentalGrandPrix 5000 S #Tubeless Road Tyre, 700x25c
• Saddle: ISM Performance Narrow PN 3.0 Carbon Saddle - Limited Edition
• Bar tape: Canyon Ergospeed Gel
• Seat post: Canyon S27 Aero VCLS CF
• Bottle cages: #Tune (WASSERTRÄGER 2.0, 9g each)
• Sprint shifters: SW-R9150 S
• Pulley wheels: #Ceramicspeed OSPW, red
• Frame size: S (my height 179)
• Powermeter: #4iiii dual sided PRECISION PRO
• Bike computer: #Wahoo Bolt v2 (for races), #Garmin Edge 1030 Plus (long rides/commutes)

3 Likes

This looks like a fantastic ride. Great scenery. Makes me want to go out and buy a GoPro and record my own rides!

Except that I only ride inside and that would get really boring really fast. :laughing:

And if I did ride outside here it wouldn’t be anywhere near as scenic. lol.

1 Like

Well, I’m sure there are plenty of people who would like to watch others suffer doing a 4DP on YouTube :rofl:
But seriously, you’re right. The scenery is stunning particularly considering the fact that it is so close to Tokyo, the largest urban area on the planet with 37,000,000 people!

2 Likes

I’m headed to Japan for Christmas for 3 weeks. Super tempted to rent a bike and do some rides but I suspect the family would not be impressed. Not sure how I will.cope without riding a bike that long, but I did manage to book some accommodation in Osaka with house bikes.

1 Like

I am not sure about the conditions in Osaka during winter.
But cycling was totally fine in Tokyo during the last couple of years, i.e., no snow and not super cold. Just around 0 degCel in the worst case scenario.
Osaka is perhaps even milder…

1 Like

Yep we will be in Tokyo for about a week. Might have to hire a bike :grin: good to know it is rideable. The cold I can handle. Snow, not so much :rofl:

1 Like

:mountain_biking_man::shark::shark::shark:Koburi/Koufuri Pass (顔振峠) descent :national_park:

A climb is always followed by a descent.
Unfortunately, and as mentioned in the first video, the soba shop (平九郎茶屋) at the top just served the last order when I arrived at around 3pm. Next time I’ll be earlier!!! So I just had a quick alcohol free beer had headed towards a beautiful discent.

I hope this one will get you off the couch and out on your bike. Enjoy!

See you next time.
Stay safe, stay strong.

PLEASE LIKE & SHARE
#MyPrefrontalRides #顔振峠 #roadbike

3 Likes

My ALTERNATIVE video to the 第71回秩父宮杯埼玉県自転車道路競走大会。(71st Chichibunomiya Cup Road Race Tournament.):man_biking:

Unfortunately, the race organisation does not allow for video equipment on the bike during the race. This is very unfortunate. However, instead you can enjoy some stunning climbs and descents. The video is a bit longish, but trust me the mountains between Chichibu and Tokyo are amazing. The climbs are long and steady and the descents are smooth without any (or only few) hairpins. Just flick through the video. I am sure there is something for you as well.
BTW, I placed 17th out of 60 in my category (same as last year but with plenty of PRs)

Don’t forget to like and subscribe!

See you next time.

PLEASE LIKE & SHARE

#MyPrefrontalRides #chichibu #roadbike

2 Likes

:sunny::fallen_leaf::chestnut::maple_leaf: Wahoo SYSTM Arakawa workout - Big Gear MAP 3 Sets 6 x 30s :sunny::fallen_leaf::chestnut::maple_leaf:

Just a SYSTM MAP workout. Perfect for an upstream Arakawa ride.

Stay safe, stay strong.

PLEASE LIKE & SHARE

#MyPrefrontalRides #SYSTM #roadbike

1 Like