ToS 2022: Stage 2 - The Way Out - is OPEN! Discuss here!

with hooves…

1 Like

I normally love this workout - right up my strengths of just grinding it out nice & steady.
However, I was away for the weekend, only got back late Sunday afternoon, which meant that Stage 1 was done 7-9pm, and Stage 2 started at 6am this morning. Never been so close to dialling it down, but I must admit to standing up during the last section of the Nimolet and Zancolan. Damn, this week’s going to be hard…

As to sweat - I’m sitting at my desk in the office three hours later, and just the thought of it is causing a hot flush & bringing on the perspiration. I’m about to go round and scrounge a USB desktop fan from the desks of one of the Couchlandrians ‘working from home’…

4 Likes

Stage 2 done, doing ok again.
Very glad of low cadence intervals, and never quite reached 110 rpm
However no trouble and in good order.

6 Likes

The Way Out is an old fave of mine. Not today though.

That last long climb up the Nivolet nearly had me.

Great to see everyone coming over the line again today.

:+1::+1::+1:

6 Likes

Just so long as you make @michael.cotty put the costume on at the beginning, and take it off at the end while he is riding on the bicycle. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Love this ride - great scenery and background info. Makes me want to get over there for the real deal, but not trying to keep up with Mike!

:ukraine::ukraine::ukraine:

6 Likes

Done. Love it. Actually, pretty gentle in Focused mode (FTP at 90%). Saving myself for Model at 100% which I expect to be brutal.

4 Likes

I’d say poor Mike (@michael.cotty) but I suffered hard on TWO. I was thinking of turning around but realized I would need to go back the way I came, up the smooth tarmac and down the narrow and bumpy descents. But if the pros are going backwards are they riding to Couchlandria too?

So I barely make it to the finish, and Sir Mike rolls up to another hotel. So I’m thinking it’s a setup and I’m still trapped in Couchlandria after all that effort. It’ll take me another 5 days of suffering to escape.

So yes, the cow suit would be perfect!

8 Likes

Perfect ride again. Changed from focus mode (ftp) 90% the last 20 minutes to +full nuke and just loved it. 60 cad and 275-300w seems to be my thing.

7 Likes

I’d love to see you in a T-Rex :t_rex: suit charging up a hill!

4 Likes

Stage 2 :white_check_mark: After a hard day with so much worry in the world this was just the ticket. Wow the legs were confused after yesterdays manic peloton effort. Really had to tell myself to hold the body still on the 55 rpm! Tough stuff. Got through at :100:.

6 Likes

The Way Out, Stage 2, plays to my strength - slow cadence, smashing grinds. :smiley: So it was a fun ride for me.

7 Likes

Enjoyed stage 1, enjoyed stage 2, may feel differently about stage 3… :grimacing:

4 Likes

I felt like I let Clara down in Stage 1 - not so with Mike in the mountains! 100% all the way. Even felt good enough to wait at the top of the Zoncalon to get a pic of @michael.cotty as he came by.

zoncalon_cotty0

Good job Mike! :smirk:

:cow: :bell:
:mountain: :goat:

Onward and upward!

7 Likes

Yes the legs were singing with the high cadence efforts. Was really trying to enjoy the ride knowing what lies ahead the next few days!

4 Likes

I’ve always liked The Way Out. The low cadence efforts seem easier to me. Also, I like it because my wife and I did an actual cycling tour in the Alps in 1992 and rode some of those passes, including Cormet de Roselind and Col de l’Iseran. Here’s a photo from the summit of l’Iseran. (For me, not just 30 years, but 50 pounds ago!)

Left to right, my wife, me, and a friend.

11 Likes

Stage 2 done. Love the mountains and felt strong today. Rest recover and roll on stage 3

9 Likes

Finished Stage 2 earlier today. Always “happy” to suffer with MC Mountain, Sir @michael.cotty. I put on my climbing socks, and got it done. The clip is from the last MAP effort which, despite requesting the GMTI option, the evil SUF scientists thought that MAP didn’t need to be reduced. Thank you evil SUF scientists. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

sweet socks!

2 Likes

Didn’t @michael.cotty say that on one of the climbs that the Tour de France did it the other way?

2 Likes