Tour of Sufferlandria 2014 is on the calendar! Who's in?

2013 ToS is done so it’s time to get 2014 scheduled. It will begin on Sat Jan 7th, 2023 and run through Sun Jan 15th, 2023. In an attempt to get in all of the past ToS challenges, I plan to work through the entire roster. If you missed any of them, I know you yearn to jump in and get them all done.

I will post the schedule shortly but I need to make one substitution for a ride no longer available.

So like I said in the title - Who’s In??

OK, here is the schedule. The first Stage ride is no longer available so I tried to pick a ride that had some similarity. Also, just to show I’m not going soft on the first ride here are the stats on each ride:

Original Ride: Time 1:00:00 - IF 0.73 - TSS 55.
Catalunya: Girona to Pubol: Time 1:00:00 - IF 0.77 - TSS 60.

My problem is going to be Stage 7. I really dislike The Hunted and to do it after Angels isn’t going to make me like it any more.

3 Likes

Maybe turn the tunes off for the hunted or even try it as a novid and find something else you watch that can get you really engaged. No matter what that one’s gonna suck yak baIIs.

4 Likes

Also, just my 2 cents but I’d suggest subbing FF for Rubber Glove. Rubber Glove was what SUF used to determine your FTP before they made FF and started with the whole 4 Dimensional Power Profile thing.

Edit: I added this just because I’d think that FF honours the spirit of Rubber Glove but it’s your tour Sir and I genuinely mean no disrespect. I also applaud the effort you put into finding an alternate that in no way will be easy.

4 Likes

I thought about it but while they have the same intent, they are not the same workout at all.

2 Likes

True true true. Not the same workout AT ALL! Your sub is daunting as it is, especially for someone like me with a very STRONG weakness for sustained efforts. You’re also the DS in this tour so 100% your call. I’ll be in the team car, umm, “supporting” you!

2 Likes

So two questions. First can someone, hypothetically or course, hold a bottle of water while you pull them along and second, can someone, again purely hypothetically, draft off the team car? Now I would never do any of those things but I understand they do occur on occasion in big races.

Oh, I was just asking, uhh, for a friend.

4 Likes

Wahoo really need to add the previous tours as a plan to do and have a retrospective tour badge that you can earn for completing each of them.

9 Likes

That would be nice! I think harder to implement though because the Tour badges are based on completing each stage within a 50 hour time window. There are loads of people who start a ToS but DNF cuz of a whole range of things. But, I agree, a retro tour badge would be pretty cool. I’d love to see Sir @Critmark awarded them :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Why would this be difficult? To my mind, it would be easier than having people just do it on their own. If it’s a planned ride, the app puts it on the calendar and they could monitor it the same way they do the annual ToS event every year.

1 Like

Cuz for the ToS everybody is on the same 50hr window. When does the window start when you do a retro ToS? The moment you start? The start of your day in your time zone?

Sometimes in a ToS some people take advantage of the 50hrs to schedule in a rest day or double up. Each vid has to be started and completed in that window. How would the app know you were trying a retro ToS rather than just riding one of the vids? I just imagine it being a whole lot more work than just keeping track of vids completed.

Edit: so while it may be in the calendar, in the ToS, you can still legit complete it the day before or the day after depending on where you live.

1 Like

I understand how it works but that does not change my position. Unless you are telling me that every participant has their completion times verified by a live person checking each ride. I have always assumes (silly me) that this is a programmed check built in to the app. If not, why not?

Having spent a bit of time in software development, this is not rocket science. Each ride has a 50 hour window when it can be completed. Even when we are in different time zones, the window remains the same. Then each check is a simple yes or no. Even in an on demand addition to a calendar, the computation is the same. Each ride based on the riders start date.

If Wahoo is checking each riders start and finish times on every ride for every stage by hand, shame on them. If not, then being able to do it ‘on demand’ is not a big leap.

2 Likes

Not by hand but it is not done in app. At least not the SYSTM app. Likely a web app that syncs in the cloud. Also, they laid off their original SUF app developer in the first round of wahoo layoffs.

Edit. I’ll add I’m not a developer or coder but have learned that what seems straightforward is often more complicated than it appears.

2 Likes

I’m not a developer either but having spent two decades in Silicon Valley I can tell you it is often the limitations of the developer more than the complicated execution if an idea. I think this is especially true when the core concept has already been developed, tested and deployed successfully.

1 Like

Considering the simple things we’ve been asking for since SYSTM launched in September 21 (and before) that have yet to be delivered, and knowing dev resources were already limited (and only more so now with this latest round of layoffs) I’m betting it comes down to the larger company’s priorities. Sadly, I don’t think SUF is high on that list.

3 Likes

I wish I could disagree with this, but I can’t.

4 Likes

BOO! FULL FRONTAL!

:wink:

2 Likes

Well that…sucks. :rage:

2 Likes

As the DS for this ride I grant you permission to do Full Frontal as the first ride in this ToS. Happy to know you will be joining us! :+1:

3 Likes

Now that’s a DS!! :smiling_imp:

2 Likes