Wahoo X June Challenge - Go Beyond FTP!

Revolver completed a few hours ago. After 3 intervals I always think that I’m not gonna make it, but everytime I manage to push till the end. Footage and music help a lot.

Suf idol, earlier in the week was a lot of fun. The first sprint, when you expect 500 watts and get 750, so much fun :smile:, standing starts at 20rpm.

4 Likes

A bit late to the party this month due to a couple of big sportives (with a bout of illness between them) and then a weeks holiday, leaving only 4 days to complete the challenge.

SUF Idol on Tuesday was tougher than I remember, no doubt due to a lack of any high intensity work for a few weeks.

Having woken the legs up, Fight Club on Wednesday was tough but manageable.

Unfortunately, work commitments thwarted last night’s plans so no option but a Revolver / GOAT double tonight.

Revolver (on my highest ever MAP numbers) was causing me some trepidation. 11 intervals completed at 100%, but had to knock a couple of percent off the next 4 before increasing the (ahem) 15th interval back to 100%

Straight into GOAT, man that was hard. What is normally a relatively straightforward workout was a real grind on empty legs.

Really happy to have completed this months and already looking forward to the July challenge.
Keep them coming :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone who completed the June challenge, we hope you enjoyed it and are ready ready for the next one…

For everything about July Challenge checkout this post:

We have a list laid out already over the next few months but if you have any particular themes you would like to see on these challenges, please let me know.

2 Likes

well, since you asked so nicely Sir @Rupert.H, how about the 4 most popular Sufferfest (as in most ridden) cycling workouts (excluding the Open vids, Igniter, Cadence Builds, Recharger, Primers, Tapers, FF and HM).

Please and thanks :pray:

4 Likes

You do realise Sir @Glen.Coutts this is likely to include Defender after the heroic exploits of Sir @emacdoug :joy:

4 Likes

Hehe. I’m guessing the curve would be flattened when taken over time but yes, I am prepared for the possibility. :man_facepalming:t3::nauseated_face::face_vomiting:

4 Likes

At least it won’t include Kitchen Sink!

2 Likes

+1 for this. A great suggestion.

3 Likes

We can save that one for the Sufferlandrian National Day

3 Likes

Sir @Glen.Coutts, with all respect I would suggest the exact opposite - the 4 least popular Sufferfest workouts to show them some love. It could easily become the real challenge :crazy_face:

8 Likes

Oh be still my heart. I didn’t want to hog the thread with all my Sufferfest this Sufferlandria that so left it at what I had written in the hopes that others would take up the mantle. @rdo, the wahoominati award you 2 SUF points for your valour in meeting the challenge head on!!

3 Likes

Indeed! It’s on my plan. The National Day of Suffering!

3 Likes

I would bet Full Frontal would be one of the top 4 least popular, though not in the four least ridden. It is quite a divisive “workout” where few are neutral about it, and many (myself included) dread when we see it on our workout calendars.

Come to think of it, putting Full Frontal in a challenge might encourage some to give it another go as they collect the monthly badge.

4 Likes

Honestly, I dread Defender more than I dread FF. At least with FF there’s the “reward” of updates numbers. With D, it’s just an hour of misery.

2 Likes

If Sir @Glen.Coutts didn’t already have it on his calendar, I would ride it some more to ensure it’s inclusion. :wink:

5 Likes

yeh, about that Sir. I’ve been down with a respiratory illness for the past 3 days so may need to postpone for a bit. It will get done though, and, as I’m sure you’re also well aware, you’ll hear ALL about it.

3 Likes

So for anyone who cares, I continue to struggle with shaking this dang upper respiratory thing off. Putting in hard efforts has been leaving me hacking up a lung so I’ve been avoiding my usual group rides as well as any really focused training.

Figured I’d give it another go today when my wife suggested we go to a Provincial Park where she would go for a walk, while I could do a few loops on a wonderful, mostly flat 11 km loop, unbroken by stop signs. It’s the perfect place for intervals so I took Defender out on the road.

I’m happy to say that while the workout itself is a bit different, it’s 2 min at 90% of MAP then 8 mins sustained sub-threshold for 4 reps, I managed to get it done at 1-3% less than my recently tested MAP/FTP numbers. Considering I didn’t have ERG to hold my power steady and I had to modulate gears based on the little bit of elevation there was as well as a steady wind, I’m pretty pleased with the results.

I still hacked up a lung after each 10 minute interval, and then when the workout was done and I did a few more efforts and returned to meet my wife, I hacked up the other one.

I’ll still get the indoor version done at some point before the year is out but for now, I’ll consider the realm suitably defended.

8 Likes

now how you feel. 3 weeks after a bought of the flu and I am still coughing up a lung whenever I get near threshold. Doc reckons I could have this post viral cough for up to 6 weeks.

What’s worse is that my A goal for the year (SA Masters TT) is on the 6th of August and I can’t train for it at all. Thinking I will have to give it a miss this year.

3 Likes

I don’t know what i ran into but i still hack and bring up colors of phlegm. However, I’m getting stronger and bringing up less and less. Key is to ride outdoors!

3 Likes

@Rupert.H

How about an On Tour with Sir Mike month, the 4 videos can be across the different locations he has been.

Could also do a originals badge or where it all started and have the first 4 Sufferfest workouts as the monthly challenge.

5 Likes