Wahoo X October Challenge - Technique & Drills

Hey All,
Sorry for the badge bug over the weekend!
All working now and it should be appearing for you all. If that is not the case please message me and I will fix it for you

3 Likes

It was Sodā€™s Law that I had Elements of Style in my plan the day before the challenge started.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know, badge has now appeared :+1:

3 Likes

@Rupert.H I was waiting it out, figuring it would get corrected, but still not showing up for me. I completed the remaining 2 on Sunday, October 8.

1 Like

@DouthatBiker
Out of interest have you completed any activities on SYSTM since yesterday when Rupert posted to say it was fixed. I think I have read before the badges donā€™t refresh until an activity is completed so this may help. If not then hopefully wahoo support will get you sorted.

2 Likes

@Sir_Craig Thank you, No, I didnā€™t know Iā€™d have to do another one to prompt it to change. Iā€™ll watch for that when I get trapped back inside againā€¦ Until then, Iā€™ll get all I can outside! :wink:

3 Likes

Not sure if this is right spot for this question. I did the cadence drills as part of the October challenge this morning. In doing the single leg I had two problems. One was trying to achieve a cadence of 80, the most i could muster was 60 but not for any sustained time. After 30 seconds, the cadence reading was 0. I felt like I was spinning out as there was no resistance on the upstroke. I tried increasing gear to maintain resistance throughout the pedal stroke but to no avail. Single leg portion of the workout was a bust. Any suggestions? Thanks.

@Jeffrey, What trainer are you using? If your trainer reads the power from a crank or pedal based power meter, stuff goes wrong when you unclip one foot.

My Kickr Core does the job, resistance stays accurate. Cadence readings go out the window though, it establishes the cadence from the power fluctuations rather than actually measuring them.

For cadence drills, I always connect a separate cadence sensor. It will also give better readings at high cadence when torque is near-zero.

What you could do to keep the workout going, is to go out of ERG mode, into LEVEL so the trainer doesnā€™t get confused and you manually adjust the resistance with gears or different LEVEL modes

4 Likes

I forgot to mention which trainer. Same as you, Kickr core. I donā€™t have a separate cadence sensor so rely on Core. Pausing to switch to LEVEL mode before each single leg drill sounds like itā€™ll do the trick. Think Iā€™ll do that for the cadence build sections too. Or just do the entire workout in LEVEL mode.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think one leg drills in erg mode is largely the problem. Level would work better at keeping the resistance stable.

3 Likes

Is everyone honing in their skills for technique and drills?
Still over a week to get this badge wrapped up!!

7 Likes

almoststarted

5 Likes

Speaking of badges - any chance you can get us a 2023 version of this one:
SUF 2017

for Sunday? Please? Pretty please?

10 Likes

@Rupert.H I completed another tiny workout today hoping that as Sir_Craig suggested, it might cause a change so my October badge would update, but it still isnā€™t showing up. (Maybe doesnā€™t happen for some time?) I completed the 4 Challenge workouts on October 2, 5, and 8. If you could correct that for me, I would appreciate it!

Nice work on the challenge, did you do the Mobility session too though?
Remember there are 5 workouts to complete this month to earn the badge:

1. Elements of Style
  2. Cadence builds
  3. Cadence Drills ((Builds/Holds/Single Leg)
  4. Standing Starts
  5. Core & Hip Mobility A
2 Likes

@Rupert.H Nope! I never even saw that! Thanks for the clarification. Not sure Iā€™ll bother with that one.
Not a fan of those, sorry to say.
Cā€™est la vie!
(Iā€™ve just been going into the Cycling Library and doing what was there, so no surprised I missed the other one.)

Just run the video and save it. You donā€™t actually have to do it to complete this challenge and get your badge.

A little unethical, maybe, but if the cycling is whatā€™s important to you and you want the badges, then this is a ā€œwork aroundā€.

2 Likes

@DouthatBiker It is a six minute long video.

Personally I like those videos and feel noticeably different on and off the bike when I donā€™t do them regularly. After a few repetitions you just know the moves and so can do the exercises without even listening to the videos.

4 Likes

#understatement
#youwannabeabletolookinthemirror
#notillegalthough
#justdothe6minutesofstretching

1 Like

I can live with shame of passing on this ā€œadviceā€.

In fact, Iā€™m eating a doughnut as I type this :grinning:

6 Likes