Winter Training Schedules

I just did Rue the Day first time this week. Loved it! I highly recommend you schedule it asap. :grin:

4 Likes

Shhhh. He might hear you.

3 Likes

And just to add. Sometimes Iā€™ve looked at getting super early as some kind of badge of honor. But then other times I realize Iā€™ve become blazeā€™ about it.

When my wife first suggested I wake up early to run and I remember thinking that was just crazy talk. And even once I did, at first I never woke up before 5:15. And waking up at 4:45 was horrific and I could barely drag myself out of bed.

Now that Iā€™ve done it for so many years itā€™s just become normal to wake up at 4:30am. And any time someone else talks about not being able to wake up before 6am I roll my eyes. But itā€™s good for me to remember that I used to also be that person that rolled my eyes at the very idea of waking up that early to exercise. I was never a morning person. I just had to make myself so it. And now it just feels so normal that I forget when it wasnā€™t.

But it is definitely doable for anyone. You just have to commit yourself to it and keep at it and adjust your schedule accordingly. And once youā€™ve had kids and barely got 3 hours of sleep and still had to wake up and functionā€¦ it becomes a whole lot easier. :smile:

4 Likes

OK, the flu is behind me. After 2 days of feeling like I was going to die to yesterday, when I felt like I might make it, I was back on the bike today. I didnā€™t want something too taxing today so I did Ride for Your L1fe. Tomorrow I pick back up with the UCI Velodrome. By Sunday the 18th I will have the UCI rides and Dec Challenge in the books.

That leaves 5 days to fill in before the Rapha 500 begins on the 24th. That will take me to the end of the month. Dec always seems to fill up for me quickly.

On the topic of early morning workouts, I have to agree with Sir @emacdoug, that anyone can do it. I spent 5 years getting to the community center where I worked at 5:00am to swim, ride or run five days a week. Truth be told, I find working out early in the morning the easiest time for me.

3 Likes

I am at the other end of lifeā€™s cycle. 4 kids all adults and gone. Live on my own, been with my girlfriend for 23 years but we live separate and always have done, see each other every day, works a treat. Been retired for 3 years ( proper cycling for about two years only) so no issue fitting in training time. Still like to do my workouts early-ish in the morning though which then frees up the rest of the day.

4 Likes