General queries/requests

Hi all,

I have been using System for a few months now and have a few questions that hopefully someone might be able to update me on:

1. Is there any update on an Apple TV release? Is this still on the radar?

2. My wattbike outputs power data from each side. It would be nice to get a new HUD feature in Systm that shows this on screen. I have to use my garmin which shows the data as a % per R&L.

3. I used to be able to see “how many times suffered” on the old sufferfest app. Is this going to come back? Its good to know how many times a workout has been done.

4. I might be missing something, but is the only way to see previously completed workouts to look back in the calendar view? If so, it must be reasonably straightforward to also have a list view that shows the activity and key metrics such as av power, cad, HR, etc. on the same screen.

5. Similar to the above, but the ability to compare 2 or more workouts with the same name. Eg. it would be great to compare/overlay 2 different Full Frontals 6 months apart. I appreciate the 4DP gives you the power at the end, but I quite like knowing how my cadence was for 2 sections in the same workout, same with HR.

6. Some way to view the history of Half Monty and Full frontal results. Seems like this type of thing could go into the “Progress” section on the app. You can only see your current results from what I understand.

7. The Progress section is a bit Mehhh. Badges seem a bit pointless; I see it is trying to emulate strava and Zwift, but would be nice if this section actually showed some “progress” based stats. Even a simple timeline with how far along a training plan I am on without having to click through the calendar. Or when the last 4dp test was, when to do the next one etc.

Only a few points on what I feel is a great workout platform.

3 Likes

I can’t answer all the questions but a few:

Q3 & Q4 - you can download a csv file of all your workouts. I save the file as an excel file and you can manipulate it to your knowledge of excel. I slice and dice mine a lot.

Q5 - I do this in excel as well. If I do a workout in Level mode I also compare the IF & TSS to the plan.

I am sure some one else will jump in on the others.

@oliver.higgins Those features are coming back - should be soon. I think there were some delays with features due to spending time on cissues that arose at launch.

Not seeing that on osX or iOS

Now I’m puzzled🤷🏻‍♀️, and a bit worried that it will disappear with the next update; but it does prove that it is being developed and should come for all of us. I’ve enjoyed having my history easily accessible again.

I’ve just installed Systm on an iPhone - the first time I’ve tried Systm on Apple device. 7.18 installed from the App Store.

There’s no Activity History at the bottom of a page on my device though - how did you get to be special @Epeadon? Did you give GvA a present or something?

2 Likes

@Harpoon, I’m just a lowly serf. I don’t know what I did to deserve this gift from GvA. I am pleased to report that it remained when I updated to 7.18.0 this afternoon in my iPad but it isn’t on my iPhone. I can’t remember now if it was there before I updated. I mostly use my iPad but I thought it was on my iPhone as well. The only reason I looked for the feature was that someone else reported it around the time 7.15.0 was released but I can’t find the post now.

Thanks for the replies all! Glad to see that most of these things are under development. I will wait patiently in the 9 Hammers Tavern.

Would be great to also get an update on the possibility of an Apple TV app, or even better, a Amazon Fire Stick app.

The email option is here

Thanks for the CSV tip. I now have a lovely spreadsheet with more numbers than I know what to do with.

Question though… The CSV file brings the date field into Excel in the format mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss.

I am unable to sort activities by date as excel doesn’t recognise this as a date/time format. I have tried adjusting column “type” to date or time, and tried a custom value, but this still doesnt work. How do you sort yours by Date?

If there are any app dev people monitoring this could you please adjust the CSV download to separate out the date from the time. :slight_smile:

I mean, I’d rather they fixed the format into dd/mm/yyyy because the Americanised date system is nothing short of insane. Impossible to sort sensibly and non-incrementing…

Who in the ^&*% says “When did this happen?” and expects the first answer to be a month as more important than the day? :smiley:

Anyway, I digress. What you want to do is easy.
In Excel select the date/time column and then go to the Data tab, click “Text to columns”, select “Fixed width” on the first page and then just follow the instructions…

2 Likes

Thanks Jon. That worked a treat. Although the CSV file is live linked into the excel. I assume I will need to do this each time the CSV is reloaded?

Speed is also in MPH which is annoying!

Yeah, you’d need to do it each time.
Hopefully they can separate the fields as that would make more sense, but in the short-term you have a workaround.

You could do a speed conversion rule fairly easily too by creating a new column alongside the mph speed which simply multiplies the column next to it by 1.609344, but these are also short-term fixes (though I see that as being more of a problem for the developer to fix, unless they chose to just export both).

1 Like

As an American, I agree. But dd/mm/yyyy isn’t much better. The logical system (which I use when naming files) seems to be yyyymmdd. That actually sorts the way one would want!

1 Like

Absolutely, yyyymmdd is an incrementing system and makes managing data really easy, its the best system in the modern world, I think.

Failing that and wanting a human readable system then dd/mm/yyyy because it presents the bit of data you are most likely to want to read first.

I have no actual idea what mm/dd/yyyy was ever set out to achieve…

2 Likes

There’s an easier way to deal with the date field. Select the column, then format as a Date (pick the format you like). That will automatically convert the string exported by SYSTM into a date serial. Date serials sort correctly and you can display it in any date format you like.

The date could be off by one day depending on where you live and what time you worked out. That's easily fixed if you care.

One other detail if you care about the actual date. The csv file shows the date/time at UTC. So if the day is different in UTC than in your time zone at the start of your workout, the date will be off by one. For example, I live in the USA Eastern Time Zone which is UTC - 5 (this time of year while we’re in standard time). I did a workout at 7:12pm on 27 January (my time). However, in UTC that workout was at 00:12 on 28 January so that’s what shows up in the csv file. Depending on where you live and what time you work out, this could be a frequent issue. The solution, if you care, is to convert the date into a date serial (as described above). Then in a separte column add the UTC offset divided by 24 to the date serial. For example, I would subtract 5/24 from the properly formatted date/time field. Note that the date/field can display something that looks like a date; you don’t need it to look like a number to subtract from it. So long as it’s formatted as date, the underlying data is a date serial and will be treated as a number.

Details about how Excel date/time serials work

The integer part of the date serial is the number of days since 1 January 1900 (inclusive: 1 Jan 1900 = 1) with an error that usually doesn’t matter. The error is that the count assumes, incorrectly, that February 1900 was a leap year. So the serial number for every day after 1 March 1900 is one too high. But so long as you are only dealing with days after that, it doesn’t make any difference.

The decimal part of the serial number is the time of day expressed as a fraction of 24 hours. Thus, 2 February 2022 at noon is 44594.5.

ISO 8601 for the win :grinning:

4 Likes

That doesn’t seem to work @AkaPete. Is that because the time is also included as part of the date field in the export? Also when the excel opens it auto refreshes from the linked CSV and reverts any changes back.

Who knew cycling was so complicated!

@oliver.higgins A couple thoughts.

First–you don’t need to “import” a csv file like this one. You can simply open it in Excel. That will save you a step and eliminate the linked file problem you alluded to.

Second–I’m not sure what didn’t work. Can you explain? Turns out I slightly mispoke but in a way that actually makes this easier: the csv file already has the date/time field in serial form. Excel is automatically formatting it as “d/m/yy h:mm”. That means that it will sort by date correctly without any manipulation of format. You can change the date format to anything you like (including the ISO 8601 yyyymmdd).

To confirm that the csv has the date serial on your computer, open the csv and click on one of the dates. You’ll note that in the Number Format section of the Home tab it says “Custom”. If you expand that by clicking the little square with an arrow in the bottom right of the Number Format section, you’ll see the Custom Format “d/m/yyy hh:mm”. If you change the format to General, you’ll see a number. Something like 44,000-ish with a decimal after. That’s the serial date/time.

Happy to pursue further if you care. Because I suspect no one else cares, just send me a private message.

As an aside you can read the data from a csv with Power Query (Data → Get Data → FromText/CSV) and get it to format as you wish (easiest way is to set the power query regional settings to English United States. It makes it in to a repeatable process (and you can do other data processing at the same time if you want).

Depending on what you’re doing it might be an alternative, but I’d agree that @Jon 's solution ought to be fine and is certainly more straight forward.