How to black out days of the week

Forgive me if this topic has been covered. I’m new to Systm. I’ve been using Systm since January. I do enjoy the ease of setting up a training plan and then working the plan. Very similar to other programs I’ve used in the past.

Why is it that workout days change from week to week? Never the same day(s) off each week.
Why are long rides scheduled during week days? (Fri/Sat instead of Sat/Sun)

How do I black out certain days of the week so no workouts will be scheduled on those days? I am constantly shifting workouts on the calendar every week to meet my specific schedule. I have days I can’t ride. I need the workouts to be automatically scheduled on the days I can ride.
As my plan continues to build up in hours per week, this constant shifting is getting more and more difficult.

Other programs I’ve used allow black out days. Please educate me on how to find this feature on Systm.

Thank you

2 Likes

Hey @spokespinner and welcome to the forums! You’ve found some of the weaknesses in the current iteration of how training plans are applied.

That said, if long rides are scheduled Fri & Sat instead of Sat/Sun it’s cuz you’ve entered a start date of Sunday or an end date of Saturday. Its not ideal but the way the plan selector is currently configured, you need to start a plan on a Monday and/or end the plan on a Sunday. This doesn’t always line up with our events so we might have to tweak things a bit at the end.

My advice, check the end date of your current plan, delete it, and reenter the same plan with Sunday as the end date. All the work you’ve already done will stay in your calendar and your history but the rest of the workouts going forward will have the longer rides on Sat/Sun and the days off, usually, Monday though there may be other rest days in there depending on the plan.

As for being able to black out days you can’t train, that is not yet a feature of SYSTM (though it has been requested :slight_smile: ).

I think you will find though that after deleting, and re-entering your plan with a Sunday end date, most of what you are looking for will fall into place. You still might need to reschedule a workout here and there as things progress but it shouldn’t be as cumbersome as it is right now.

Check back in and let us know if this made sense, or if it helps, or if there is something else. There are plenty of folks here with plenty of experience, plus the coaches often check in on things too and give their thoughts. The Grande Fromage himself, Sir @David.McQuillen.KoS also lurks around the forums and may even weigh in sometimes on where things are at from a development standpoint.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Probably not the answer you’re looking for, but after doing Violator I pretty much black out for the next day. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

Generally, when you are previewing you plan, you can see which days contain your long rides and which days are usually off-days or at least short/recover days. Then you can play around with your start/end dates to make them line up pretty close.

For me, this usually allows me to do my long rides on Fri & Sat and then take Sunday off, or have only yoga or recovery rides scheduled for Sunday.

I’ve been about 95% successful doing this and the. Only usually need to switch around a couple rides here and there.

1 Like

That’s a psychological defence mechanism, otherwise, why would we do it again?

1 Like