MTB: 7hr XCM, 14 weeks to go

I’ve seen a couple of threads here concerning 5hr+/100km XCM style events. I’m in a position where I’ve been training with the same coach for the UK winter months, but he’s going back to full time teaching and has understandably had to give up coaching - so I have to fly solo from hereon. I’m 47, and have a 7hr event in mid-June and I’m currently in the latter stage of base/power building. With 14 weeks left, I’m looking for a plan to complete base and get through to the event. The XC in-season/pre-season programs seem tuned to shorter, punchier XCO racing. Should I blend the Mountainous Gran Fondo and Volcano Climbing somehow?
The event is 7 hours; 11km / 310m climbing per lap. I’m looking to average 13-14km/h

Slight diversion, but that sounds like a fantastic event,what is it?

The MGF is often recommended for these events or a custom plan. Hoping to see an XC Ultra-marathon plan soon, it’s been said it is coming.

Hi @glj1974uk, welcome to the forum!

Have you seen our customized training plans?
https://thesufferfest.com/pages/customised-suf-training-plans

Your situation sounds like a perfect fit for these!

@RichardK it’s Glentress7 in the Tweed Valley, Scotland. Part of the Tweedlove bike festival.

1 Like

Nice! Wrong end of the country for me unfortunately.

Have you looked at the gravel grinder plans? I’d be looking at those if my targets were longer races this year.

@RichardK thanks for the steer on this.