Newbie Calendar Schedule Questions

HI all,

New Wahoo X user here and have a couple of questions re: scheduling and calendar.
So far I have really enjoyed the all purpose plan. But the plan has scheduled cycling workouts on the weekends, which are typically my days to ride outdoors, well except lately with all the rain here is the SF Bay Area.
Anyway, my outdoor riding time is really important for me, even if a slow roll recovery pace. I work in an office all day long, and always good to get out in fresh air when the weather cooperates.
I have read that the Wahoo X plans are scheduled to maximiize the training and the recovery days between sessions.
Is there any disadvantage to rearranging the calendar schedule to have the workouts only on weekdays?
Also, I don’t have a power meter on my bike, and I’m not sure how I would apply one of the workouts to ride outdoors.
Anyway thanks in advance for any advice.

1 Like

The rides scheduled for the weekends in the training plans can be swapped for outdoor rides of a similar load. They are not meant to be done in addition to your outdoor rides. Most have a very simple structure in the workout description with suggestions of what the outdoor ride should feel like.
I don’t have a power meter either but do have a cadence sensor, HR monitor and Wahoo Elemnt Bolt computer so can do the Z2 rides by HR. And the cadence/sprint drills are fine without a power meter.

1 Like

If you’re thinking about doing 5 scheduled rides Mo-Fr and riding outdoors Saturday and Sunday that sounds less than ideal to me.

You could start your plan on Sunday or Tuesday instead of Monday and just shift the entire thing one day. That way you‘d have a rest day on the weekend and do a short recovery ride.

@JGreengrass suggestion seems also very good to me. That’s what I’d do the other day.

You could preview some of the other plans as well and check if those would work a little better for you in that regard. The gravel plans for example don’t have any super structured rides on the weekends, I believe, and might be easier to replicate without a pm. If you’re looking forward to crit season those obviously wouldn’t be for you, but there might be others and it’s worth it looking around.

1 Like

This.

Roger, I’m in the same boat. Just take them outside and attempt to replicate the outdoor version of the ride as best you can, for a similar training load.

1 Like

@City_Guy Just adding to what has already been said - use RPE in lieu of a power meter for outdoor rides. It take a bit of adjustment but in the long run knowing where you are from an effort standpoint will be beneficial for your training.

1 Like