Recovering from high cadence

Hi there,

After doing the high cadence drills, I’m curious on how I can “recover” from the high cadence spins (150+ RPM) back to 90 RPM quickly. My Kickr seems to carry the momentum of the spins for quite some time (> 30 seconds) before it will let me pedal at normal cadence.

I am using ERG mode. Not sure if that matters. I have not yet tried to use Level mode. If I use Level mode, though, how would I set the level?

I’ve found something similar, although I don’t think it takes 30 seconds to get back down to a normal pedalling cadence, more like 10-15 seconds for me.

What gear are you in? Putting the bike into an easier gear will reduce the speed of the flywheel for a given cadence, and may get you back into normal pedaling cadence more quickly.

I’ve never tried the cadence drills in Level mode, but I’d suggest trying Level 2 or 3 and see how you go.

Interesting, I’ll give that a try. I’m usually on my large chain ring in front and the middle cog in the back. IIRC, I did this because there were some issues with weird cadence reading when I was using small chain ring.

1 Like

Even in ERG mode, you can shift into a harder gear and that will temporarily but instantaneously increase the resistance and slow your cadence down at the same power target. Then in a few seconds when your flywheel gets to a slower speed you can shift back down to your previous gear.

5 Likes

Don’t worry about it, regardless what gear you use suddenly reducing cadence from 150 to 90 rpm is going to cause resistance to drop to zero just like outdoors on a real bike.

Edit: unless it’s a fixed gear bike, track bike for example in which case you have to apply resistance with your legs to slow the bike down.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I actually did try that and to a certain degree it helped.

1 Like

Understood. I have also tried to just let it freewheel and just wait for it to get back to cruising RPM. :slight_smile:

What I do is: First, use a lower gear like small ring and middle of the cassette to keep the trainer’s flywheel RPM lower so it will take less time to change. Second, for big sudden cadence changes, I’ll sometimes shift, even though in ERG mode. For a big increase in cadence, shift to a lower (easier) gear. For a big decrease in cadence, shift to a higher (harder) gear. This keeps the RPM of the flywheel more constant.

4 Likes

I just did my first cadence drill, My experience was I started out on Level mode 1% and when I did the first high cadence drill cadence was high, also my power output. So I switch to ERG mode because I wanted to focus on cadence not on my power output, ERG mode holds the prescribe power and allow me to crank the rpm while trying to focus keeping the form tight on the bike without bouncing on the saddle when the set was over I just stop peddling for a few second until the fly wheel slow down then started peddling again.

2 Likes

Yep. Erg mode will lessen resistance as cadence goes up. If using level mode, shifting to easier gears does something similar.

1 Like

I do most of the interval workouts in level mode, but I do the cadence builds in erg. As @Saddlesaur mentions, you can change gears to facilitate increasing your cadence, but I find that in the midst of the effort, I often miss some shifts. Doing these in ERG mode reduces the amount of thinking I have to do… and that’s usually a good thing :smile:

2 Likes