Training Plans: Transitioning from Trainerroad

Wahoo X Newbie. I’ve used TR for a long time (still pay $89/yr) but decided to give Systm a try this winter. Background: 62 year old Masters CX racer. In the past I’ve always followed the Base, Build … of TR until the weather gets better (I’m in MA). So looking for advice on what plans to follow to get me to CX season in early September. Thanks for any advice!!

2 Likes

First and foremost you need to get your training profile. Unlike TR, SYSTM doesn’t just ‘use’ FTP. You’ll need to go through the testing protocol (we call it the Pain Parlour and you’ll understand why when you do it). Sign up for the Full Frontal week long preparation program. You’ll also want to explore the Knowledge Base podcasts and documents on how best to prepare for and complete the tests.

1 Like

Welcome @Bancroftdg !

September is a fair way away at the moment. Do you have any goals/races in the June/July timeframe? You could set up some plans to target those, build up some all-round fitness, and then move to some CX specific training closer to the 'cross season.

There are some cyclocross-specific plans available, or you could look at the AC (Anaerobic Capacity) and MAP (Maximal Aerobic Power) training blocks to target the requirements of cyclocross.

Cyclocross training plans

Building Blocks training plans

1 Like

Thanks, i have signed up for the Full Frontal prep plan. will start later this week. Half Monty doesnt seem to bad but Full Frontal… :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

Gravel race in April but that’s more for fun. And some MTB races in the summers. Just wondering if I should use building blocks right now starting with Base. again, thanks!

1 Like

We highly recommend bringing some sort of vessel to the party. There’s a Sufferlandrian famous five-gallon bucket somewhere around here for such occasions.

Welcome to the Wahoo SYSTM forum! Great advice has been given already. Wonderful to hear you have signed up for the Full Frontal prep plan to establish some very important baselines. If you have not taken a break in your training up to this point, I recommend you look at the transition down plans. If you are just returning from a break, following the FF Prep Plan take a look at the transition up, then you could follow up with a couple of the building block plans, as they each have a different focus, before getting more specific. Now may also be a wonderful time to begin strength and complete some mental training. Happy Training!

1 Like

Full Frontal is a mission TBH but don’t view it as a test but just a hard workout, get in the right frame of mind and you will be fine. Just concentrate on the part you are doing and don’t look too far ahead or look at the timer. Get your head down ( I spend most of the time looking at my legs ooh arhh!! or the crank/cadence. Keep pumping those legs and try to keep your breathing under control and before you know it each part will be done. Don’t get me wrong, it is hard but I am 69 and I did it in the Autumn, have done the Half Monty since and sometime before the summer I will be doing it again… All of the Systm plans are based on your results so to benefit you need to give it your best… Good luck!!

3 Likes

Nice thing about the 7 day test prep plan that includes the HM on day three and the FF on day 7 is the HM results set suggested targets for the FF, which makes it much easier to pace. For the 20 minute max effort in the FF, I select Level and gearing so I get about 90 rpm at the suggested power, than try to just beat that for the full 20 minutes. It’s killer. IMO, using this 7 day routine for testing yields the most consistent/reliable results. It a nice solid week of workouts too.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the mental part of it as well. This was discussed in the blog posts and I haven’t heard the podcasts but it should be there. Also, the 48 hours prior to doing the attempt should be just like you would do if you were attempting a Knighthood OR doing a major event. Hydration and fueling during those hours are critical for maximum output and benefit.

1 Like